SHX68T55UC Dishes/Glassware feel chalky, but no visible cloudiness or film

KenmoreHelp

Premium Member
Model Number
SHX68T55UC
Brand
Bosch
A month or so ago, suddenly the dishes came out clean, but feeling chalking. My first thought is detergent etching, but there is nothing visible. I realized the Add Rinse Aid light has not come on for a long time, and checked and the rinse aid dispenser was empty, probably for months. Perhaps the rinse aid dispenser is not working properly.

The filter is clean, save for a little powdered Cascade detergent residue. The arms have no blockage. The detergent/rinse aid dispenser was replaced maybe 2 years ago when it failed. Incoming water temp is 120 degrees, I have not checked the heated temps.

Our water is soft. What should the rinse aid dispense rate be set to (scale 1-6)? I ran the unit after adding rinse aid, with no detergent, and the dishes remained chalky. I only fill the detergent dispenser 1/3 of the way, though I once recently filled it almost full.

Should I run vinegar? If so, full or empty? 1 or 2 cups? At start or when in cycle? (Have seen various suggestions)

Other suggestions before I call for service?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

I recommend Cascade Complete pods. I use them in my Maytag Dishwasher and everything comes out sparkling clean with no chalky feeling.

When you open the door right after the dishwasher is done, does steam come out?

I recommend these two dishwasher cleaners:

Citric acid- mineral deposit remover

Dishwasher Magic:
Dishwasher Magic

Jake

KenmoreHelp

Premium Member
Thank you, Jake.

I ran a bottle of Dishwasher Magic last night, and it definitely cleaned the plastic silverware drawer of residue. Yes, steam comes out when you open the dishwasher. I also put my hand in the drain water, and it was too hot to hold it there. Heating is not an issue. The filter had only a tiny amount of residue remaining.

I then loaded the dishwasher and ran a load using a Cascade Complete pod. The dishes came out less chalky, but still a little chalky - definitely improved. Separately I had soaked a few chalky glasses in vinegar and they lose the chalky feeling altogether. That says it wasn't etching, simply incomplete cleaning for some reason (and that our old pottery is not ruined!).

I vaguely recall that awhile back a family member opened the dishwasher mid cycle, failed to close it completely, then unloaded it the next day. I discovered this when the empty dishwasher was indicating another hour plus remained on the cycle. Is it possible that single load dried soap on the dishes, which subsequent washings could not remove?

I think the next step is run the dishwasher a few times with chalky items and see if it removes the chalkiness. Other thoughts?

KenmoreHelp

Premium Member
I loaded the dishwasher with the chalky items and ran it twice, the second time on the heavy scrub (highest temperature) setting. The glassware cleaned up completely, no chalky feeling. The pottery (dishes) improved only a marginal amount. I guess I will soak the pottery in vinegar to remove the chalkiness (it did for pottery coffee cups), then see if regular use leads to chalkiness again.

I will update in a week or so after I have done this.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I vaguely recall that awhile back a family member opened the dishwasher mid cycle, failed to close it completely, then unloaded it the next day. I discovered this when the empty dishwasher was indicating another hour plus remained on the cycle. Is it possible that single load dried soap on the dishes, which subsequent washings could not remove?
Yes, I was thinking that too.

I loaded the dishwasher with the chalky items and ran it twice, the second time on the heavy scrub (highest temperature) setting. The glassware cleaned up completely, no chalky feeling.
That's another thing I was going to mention was your water temperature, the hotter the better.:)

Jake

KenmoreHelp

Premium Member
Update: I bought Cascade Platinum, because they were on sale for the same price as Cascade Complete. I ran a load, and the dishes came out clean with no chalkiness. I then loaded up all the remaining chalky items, ran them and they came out clean too. I think I ran them on the high temperature setting. No chalkiness has returned on subsequent loads run at regular temps, so my assumption is the one interrupted cycle left some residue on the dishes that required super duper cleaning power to remove.

So maybe Cascade Platinum really does have more cleaning power, since Cascade Complete did not remove the chalkiness even on the high temp setting.

Thanks, Jake.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Interesting observation, do you have hard water? If so, do you own a whole home water softener?

I'm on well water myself and have a whole home water softener and I use Cascade Complete and mine come out perfect.

Wait, you said Texas water is soft in your first post? What part of Texas are you in? I lived in Corpus Christi and it was hard water there.:)

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, that's fine.:)

Jake