• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

SHY56A Bosch Dishwasher "groaning"??

pointnshoot

Just got a new Bosch SHY56A dishwasher installed. After getting all the leaks fixed, and the dishwasher leveled correctly, we have noticed that at some point in the wash cycle (before the rinse) we hear what is best described as a 'groaning" sound. A single sound each time, 3-4 times in a cycle. just a "groan" or "moan". Like something is changing state or pressure is building up and releasing, or something like that. What gives? Is this something to worry about? is there a Bosch customer service site I can post these questions to?

I went on the Bosch appliances site and unlike most other companies, they do not seem to have a customer forum where you can post questions and get an answer. maybe I should have bought a Miele.

jimwhi

Premium Member
I had the same groaning sound and believe I found the cause and fix. The impeller on the wash pump has come disconnected from the motor. You have to remove the wash motor/impeller assembly and super glue or JB weld the impeller back to the plastic base plate.
The manual did not tell you in order to twist the motor/pump assembly, you need to depress with a screwdriver the white plastic tab that is part of the ring on the right side of the motor.

See page 64 of the Bosch Maintenance Manual.

Attachments

HandyBen

Premium Member
Bosch SHU5315UC/U11

I'm pretty handy, but am stumped on this one.
My 11yo D/W main pump seems not to be working properly, instead of the strong spray, there is just a feeble flow from the sprayers. The water is hot. The self-diag says 0. (By the way, when you start the self diag, it shows 2, but then changes to 0. Is the initial 2, a countdown? or a heater error).

During this time of feeble flow, I hear an unusual sound, like a plastic impeller sound, might be a little grinding. It's hard to tell if this is a new noise, or an old one that was previously masked by the sound of the stronger spray.

It's not easy to pull it out (NYC Apartment) but when I look underneath, the sound is coming from the main pump area (front-right) and the metal cylinder in front of this is hot! (Is this cylinder a cap to start the motor?)
Figure 2-1, bottom right in the Bosch service manual

I wonder if there's not an obstruction or broken impeller. Would I need to flip the whole D/W to replace this?

Any thoughts from you gurus out there?

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

and the metal cylinder in front of this is hot! (Is this cylinder a cap to start the motor?)
#18? If yes, yes it is a run capacitor.

I hear an unusual sound, like a plastic impeller sound, might be a little grinding
Kinda sounds like a sour wash motor assembly...

Circulation pump and motor assembly

Would I need to flip the whole D/W to replace this?
Nope, but will need to seperate the body from the base to R&R the motor.

jeff.

jimwhi

Premium Member
Hello Ben,
Welcome to Bosch's planned obsolescence. The groaning sound is the impeller that has separated from the plastic base. Over time the impeller wears down a thin plastic edge that holds it in place. Once the edge wears down approximately 1/8", the impeller slips out of the tiny holes that hold it in place on a plastic base plate. The repair I posted above in August 2010 worked for me and the dishwasher has continued to function since that time. You have to get into the bowels of the dishwasher to disassemble the pump, but it is a fairly low-cost repair.

Once the pump and impeller are disassembled, use a tiny amount of JB Weld or 2-part epoxy to glue the impeller back onto the plastic base that attaches it to the motor. The noise will go away when you put it back together and your dishwasher should work just fine.

Good luck,
Jim

HandyBen

Premium Member
Thanks for the advice. After seeing how much work this is to get at, I called sears repair, who had a fixed labor offer for $100 plus parts. He ordered just the motor (i too think it's the impeller) and he's supposed to return tomorrow to install it. we'll see.
(He showed up at 2:30p, ignorant of the promised 9a-1p repair window, saying he didn't work for sears and they lie anyway). Lots of fun.

HandyBen

Premium Member
Sears Home Repair No Shows Galore

No showed 10 days ago.
Rescheduled for today and .... he didn't show today.
I told them to come get their pump and never contact me again.
I'd already ordered another one from Repairclinic and I'll get a local guy to do it.
Sears has got to go out of business soon.

SearsCares

Premium Member
Sears Cares

Dear HandyBen,

I want to apologize for the delayed response to your repair situation as I just came across your post. It certainly sounds like you have been through a very difficult time with the technician not showing to complete the repair on your dishwasher. We would like to reach out to you in order to assist in resolving this situation to your satisfaction. My name is Laura with the Sears Cares Escalations team we are a single point of contact for escalated customer problems. At your convenience, please contact my office via email at smsupport@searshc.com. In the email, please provide a contact phone number and the phone number the dishwasher was purchased under (if different than the contact phone number)and we will call you directly. Also, in your email, please provide the screen name (HandyBen) you used to post on this site, for reference to your issue, and we do look forward to talking to you soon.

If any other viewers of this thread need assistance with a Sears’ related issue we want to hear from you as well. Please do email us at smsupport@searshc.com with your contact information and a brief description of the situation and we will be glad to assist you.

Thank you,
Laura D.
Social Media Moderator
Sears Social Media Support

HandyBen

Premium Member
The funny part is that this is the first time I've read this. Although measuredup sent me an email Monday saying sears had responded, the response has not been visible. You'd think measuredup up wouldn't send me the email before they'd approved the response. After all the time I've wasted and the pleas to talk to someone with any sort of power, why would I lift a finger to email them now, with all the info. If they really cared, they'd give me a phone number to a person who could fix the problem at no charge within 24 hours. Anyway, I'm going to attempt the install tomorrow with my building's handyman and the repair manual. We will try to more cramped but seemingly much less complicated, right-side extraction. Cross your fingers.

I have a Bosch Accenta dishwasher, model SHE3AR72UC/21 , FD951101398 . I was told it is 5 years old. PROBLEM: Dishwasher makes a groaning sound just when draining. Normal sound when water is circulating. The groaning sound comes from the bottom of DH on the front right side.

I changed the drain pump (with a used drain pumps) and it made the same groaning sound. To test the drain pump i filled the sump with water and manually lift the float causing the sump water to drain and also causing the groaning noise. I understand the above comments indicate that the problem could be a defective impeller on the circulation pump and motor, but the unit is cleaning the dish, there is no leak. and no squealing noise.

So I am thinking since it is quietly circulating until it drains that it is not the circulation pump and motor ( which is an expensive repair,unless it is the impeller than can be glued back on with JB Weld, as indicated in examples shown above). To repeat, it groans when it cycles into the drain mode. I vacuumed out the drain line going into the sink and it still groans.

I make sure the drain line has a loop that goes above the drain for gravity . It is possible that both the original drain pump and the replacement used pump were both defective (they both work but you hear groaning with both) Any ideas will be appreciated. Thanks