FIXED SHY56A02 Dishwasher not working - making grinding noise

ChirpChirpSqueak

Premium Member
Model Number
SHY56A02
Brand
Bosch
The dishwasher is stuck in the wash cycle making a grinding noise. I've attached an audio file. What do you think it is? I checked the drain filter and it all looks clear.

Attachments

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Sounds like something is grinding down in the pump assembly, like a seed, etc.

This is a big job to do to get access to it, allow yourself some time to do this.

When you click the part link below, you will see a video that shows you how to get access to it, you don't need to order the part, unless you've noticed decrease spray arm water pressure, it's just the video in the part link you need to watch to get access to it.

00167085 Circulation Pump Repair Kit

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

ChirpChirpSqueak

Premium Member
I took off the drain hose that connects to the circulation pump at the front and cleared out the soap scum, but there were no seeds, or glass. Do I need to clean out the other pipe (intake)? Or do you think the circulation motor needs replacing? Thanks.

ChirpChirpSqueak

Premium Member
motor found with debris

lots of debris/dust on the motor and also where the motor was sitting near the dishwasher bottom. Should I replace the motor? Does it come with a new circulation pump?

debris.jpgmotor.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yup, that's the part you will need, yes it does come complete with the motor and circulation pump assembly.

Here it is for your model you can order(Video Included):
00239144 Circulation Pump

If your shipping to Canada, you can order it here: Circulation Pump 00239144

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good.:)

Jake

ChirpChirpSqueak

Premium Member
I got the new circulation pump and installed it, but now there is no water that comes up through the dishwasher spray arm water supply tube. I checked the supply tube and it's clean and clear of debris. Also the spray arms spin freely and are clean. It goes through the cycle okay (I tried the rinse & hold cycle) and it drains. What could the problem be?

ChirpChirpSqueak

Premium Member
Do you think it could be an issue with the float? When I hooked it back up, the dishwasher remembered that it was in the middle of the wash cycle and I had to clear it.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Possibly the float, you can check it.

Jake

ChirpChirpSqueak

Premium Member
Happy July 4th. The float seems to be working fine. The water fills up as it normally did. The circulation pump motor has no connectivity between 1 and 3 so I put the black wire on 1 and the white wire on 4. This time there is a hum but still no spray. There is connectivity between 1 and 4 (I checked with the multimeter when the ground was detached)

The drawing for the old motor says to put the white on #3 but nothing happened, just silence.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

ChirpChirpSqueak

Premium Member
water inlet valve

The new circulation pump motor is defective. I took it out and tested it with the multimeter. Used it for parts though, so was able to change out the impeller and ring etc. Not worth the shipping costs to send it back. Luckily the old one still works but the impeller was broken, just like you said.

I've got a new problem - the water inlet valve doesn't work. On the repair clinic website it shows that it should hook up to a wire harness but mine has the wires with locking tabs. Do you know how I could convert the wires?

waterinletvalve.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
If its defective, there will be no shipping costs back to RepairClinic, they will pay the shipping cost and send you another new one free of all charges!

I don't see any difference between the old one and new one.

Here's the water inlet valve for your model:
Water Inlet Valve 00425458

There is a video in this part link to replace it: 00425458 Water Inlet Valve

Jake

ChirpChirpSqueak

Premium Member
Thanks for the info - relieved to find out that they'll cover the shipping costs. Will wait for the replacement motor and the new water inlet valve. Hopefully that'll be all the parts it needs. Cheers.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good.:)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Did you turn the water back on to the dishwasher?

If the water is on to the dishwasher check for 120 volts at the electrical connector plug that connects to the water inlet valve when it should be filling.

If no 120 volts, and your float switch is good, then your control board is the problem too: Main Control Board 00431692

Here's the float switch for your model:
00165256 Float Switch

Jake

ChirpChirpSqueak

Premium Member
I ran the rinse cycle and manually lifted the red stick near the float and the dishwasher worked but it did overflow. Do you think I need a new pressure chamber? http://www.appliancepartspros.com/bosch-pressure-chamber-499500-ap3955009.html

I tried to run the rinse cycle again without lifting the red stick and nothing happened, just the clicking sounds. I removed the float switch and tested it for continuity with the multimeter and it beeped okay. When I used the multimeter on the prongs of the replacement water inlet valve there are no beeps (old one didn't beep either) It only beeps if you put the black and red testers both on one prong of the water inlet valve. It seems that a lot of people have that problem. Is there another way to test the water inlet valve?

Almost there but not quite!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, it's probably the pressure chamber then, but I'd order both that and the control board just to be on the safe side.:)

It only beeps if you put the black and red testers both on one prong of the water inlet valve. It seems that a lot of people have that problem. Is there another way to test the water inlet valve?
You need a regular multimeter that reads voltage to know for sure if your getting 120 volts at the water inlet valve when it should be filling.

But it seems your water inlet valve fills otherwise.

Jake