FIXED SHY56A02 Dishwasher not working - making grinding noise

ChirpChirpSqueak

Premium Member
Got the new pressure chamber and the dishwasher works! BUT there's a leak somewhere around the sump. I took apart the dishwasher for the hundredth time and replaced the brand new pump to sump gasket which was in super tight in the first place. Put the old gasket in since it used to work and put everything back together. Still leaking. Why is it leaking?? Here's a picture:

leak3.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's very strange, try to pinpoint that leak. Check all your hoses for leaks, make sure all the hose clamps are tight.

Jake

ChirpChirpSqueak

Premium Member
I pinpointed the leak and it appears to be coming from the circulation pump. I wonder if I put in the wrong sized impeller because when I ordered the entire motor/circulation pump combo, they sent something for a different machine but I thought I could use the impeller but now I'm thinking that the impeller could be the wrong size? I double checked every hose to see that everything is secure and there are no leaks. Every screw has been named btw! :nightmare: Should I order the impeller kit? https://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Impeller-And-Seal-Kit/00167085/935404

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I posted that part in post#2 of this thread. That's the Circulation Pump Repair Kit, the one you ordered is the complete pump assembly which already has that in it.

If that complete pump assembly isn't on properly it will leak.

Recheck your installation of it again.

Jake

ChirpChirpSqueak

Premium Member
Howdy! Back from fishing and working on the dishwasher again. I'm back to using the old circulation pump because Repair Clinic doesn't have one that matches this model. I replaced the entire impeller kit with a new one and still leaks from the pump housing. Also, I replaced the pump to sump gasket and the sump gasket. As soon as the machine starts with either rinsing or washing then a drip starts from the circulation pump then it gushes out. I checked the capacitor and it has enough juice in it. The dishwasher is level and everything is plugged in okay. Just can't figure out how to stop the leak.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, this is a extremely odd situation, you will need Bosch to come out to see what's going on.

Jake

ChirpChirpSqueak

Premium Member
Just to give you an update: I found out from Bosch what circulation pump to get that would match this machine. It finally came and I installed it and guess what? Same leak as before. As soon as you hear the impeller kick in it starts to leak again right around near the motor. I even installed a brand new gasket although there was nothing wrong with the last one. Another thing that's happening is that water gushes out of the arms but they won't spin. Do you think that has anything to do with the motor leak?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Like I said, this is a extremely odd situation, you will need Bosch to come out to see what's going on. Or buy a new dishwasher.

I'm sorry I wish I could help further but I can't unless I'm with you at your house to see this problem with Jeff with me too.:)

Jeff has much more experience with Bosch than I do.:)

Jake

ChirpChirpSqueak

Premium Member
You can mark this one off as finally fixed! The key was to get the circulation pump 'factory tight'!

now on to another repair...

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds good, glad that was all it was.:)

Thanks for the update!

Jake