Side Vent on 665.13542N410 is damaging cabinets. Sears Repairman said it's normal

Model Number
665.13542N410
Brand
Sears Kenmore
First I noticed the inside of the side of my cabinet was getting water damage. I pulled the dishwasher out a little further to investigate and proved the steam is venting out the side vent on the door and is damaging my cabinet. See attached photo. I contacted Sears Home Services. A technician came out and said the damage was a common problem and it's my fault for buying the wrong type of dishwasher. He said Sears will not replace it or cover my damage. I'm convinced steam should not be venting out this side. Before I start changing parts randomly does anyone have expert advice?

kenmore 665.1354 damage.JPG

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's very strange, I've never seen a side vented dishwasher before, must be a new design that just came out.

Unfortunately, the only thing you can do is pull your dishwasher out enough so the vent clears the wood cabinet.

But if you didn't order a side venting dishwasher, then its clearly Sears fault, as 99% of all dishwashers are top and front vented.

So I'd go back to the Sears store you bought it at and take that photo with you and show the STORE MANAGER, and he/she will have the dishwasher exchanged for the top or front venting one.

Jake

troublelaurak

Premium Member
Maybe I'm too late, but I suspect this is the same thing we experienced some time ago with a different model. The fan for the drying cycle (assuming your dishwasher has one) is not working properly. Are your dishes not getting all the way dry? Yep - that's it. Hope you can still benefit from my input. Laura

gericornish13

MOLD ......GENERAL ELECTRIC.. SIDE VENT DISHWASHER.... has ruined my cabinets, large blemish on the side, had dishwasher removed to repair cabinet, to our shock, there was BLACK MOLD, ALL OVER INSIDE OF THE CABINET, AND ON DISHWASHER....

If you have experienced the same damage to cabinet,have the dishwasher removed, check......... you will probably find black mold as well....very dangerous, to your health.

We are still trying to convince General Electric, of the faulty design....