• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Silicon Grease placement

PGP

Premium Member
Model Number
KSRS25IHBL02
Brand
KitchenAid
Hello,

I have a problem with my 6 year old Kitchen Aid #KSRS25IHBL02 refrigerator. Small amounts of water were leaking from the ice maker down on to the food on the top shelf & freezing but the ice maker was still making cubes as normal. Read up on the problem here and then took the ice maker apart. Only problem I could find was that the mold coating was starting to bubble and ready to come off on about half of the mold. I figured that a few cubes where not coming out of the mold causing the tray to slightly over fill. The whole bottom plastic tray under the mold also had about a 1/4" of ice build up, almost to the mold.

I ordered a new mold/heater and got it today. When I ordered it the web site mentioned also getting silicone grease with it, which I also ordered. I thought that once I removed the module from the mold I would be able to see where the grease was used on the original part and just put the new grease in the same spot. Well after removing the parts I can't see where to use the grease. What parts does the silicone grease go on, the 3 metal prongs of the heater?

Also the ice maker has not make ice since I removed & replaced it a few days ago. I know I plugged it back in correctly and I did not mess with the module, so I am not sure why it stopped making ice. I did not unplug the refrigerator when I unplugged the ice maker, I would not think that would have caused anything to break.

Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks
Patrick

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Was it this:
1oz. Tube of thermal mastic

Because its required to put this on your ice maker thermostat when you change that mold/heater assembly, or the ice thermostat itself, It just goes on the outside surface of the ice maker thermostat.

Jake

PGP

Premium Member
I guess I ordered the wrong thing! That is what I should have ordered but the website I ordered it from says "(also order" after the mold heater assembly description and I stupidly assumed that it meant the silicone grease listed below it.

This is the page that I saw it: 12-Icemaker, Optional parts for Whirlpool KSRS25IHBL02 - AppliancePartsPros.com

I put it all back together and checked L & N with the meter & got 110 volts. I then shorted T & H and nothing happened. Do you think the module just happened to go bad, it was working fine before. I will have to order the thermal mastic, should I order a new module also. Does the new module come with a new thermostat?

If I new the module was also going to go out I would have just ordered a whole new ice maker! I hate when thing work out that way!

Thanks for the help!
Patrick

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No, a new module won't come with a thermostat.

Yes, whenever the molding is chipping away, its better to order the complete ice maker assembly.

Contact them and ask if you can return it and get the complete ice maker assembly.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds good Patrick.:)

Jake

PGP

Premium Member
I can't seem to find the complete ice maker! I checked these 3 places.

Maybe you have a few other sites that you can recommend to check for the part.

Thanks!

PGP

Premium Member
Thanks for all your help Jake! I saw quite a few icemakers that look just like mine, but did not want to order without knowing for sure that it was the correct one.

Patrick

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, I know what you mean Patrick.:) This one is for your model.

Jake

PGP

Premium Member
Got it today! Put it in a few hours ago and it already kicked out the first batch of ice. I threw out the first batch just in case there was anything on the new mold.

Thanks for all your help Jake!:)

Patrick

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, good job Patrick, glad its back to normal again.:)

Jake

PGP

Premium Member
Oh yeah, and also it fixed the original problem. Water spilling below the ice maker and creating an ice self on top of the kids frozen waffles box.

Patrick!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Wonderful Patrick, glad everything is back to running good again.:)

Jake