• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Smell of gas from oven when being used - GE Café (GE Cafe) Series Range - Model: CGS985SETSS

JWKinRVA

Premium Member
Model Number
CGS985SET1SS
Brand
GE
When we moved into our new home in Richmond, Virginia last July it came with an 8-year old GE Café (GE Cafe) Series Range - Model: CGS985SETSS manufactured in March 2012 (Contractor installed).

During the hot summer, we could smell gas 50% of the time the oven was used in convection-mode and 0% of the time the oven was used in conventional-mode.

As the weather got colder, it seemed as though we could smell gas more often than during the summer and whether being used in convection- and conventional-mode.

It is now winter and whenever the oven is used, whether in convection- and conventional-mode, we can smell gas.

A handyman down the street said is sounded like the ignitor needed to be replaced. As I thought about his recommendation, I wondered:
  1. Does the ignitor fire the oven once at the beginning of a baking cycle or intermittently during the baking cycle?
  2. Does the ignitor fail catastrophically or incrementally?
  3. Looking back to the operation of the oven during the summer, why would a failing ignitor behave differently in convection-mode than in conventional-mode?
  4. Does this difference in behavior suggest two possible problems?
Frankly, answers to my questions are certainly not necessary, but help fixing my gas smell problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

JWKinRVA

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
1. Yes, the oven ignitor comes on when you first start the oven, then cycles OFF and ON to maintain your setpoint temperature.
2. It gets weak overtime and draws lets amps, and it can open the oven safety gas valve slow and not all the way, thus the smell of gas. Normal amps should always be 3.2 amps or higher for it to perform well and open the gas valve quickly and instantly, thus you don't have the gas smell.
3. That's a good question, but I don't know the answer to that one.:)
4. No, usually its just the oven ignitor. But on rare occasions the burner port holes can clog and cause this gas smell as well--->Unplug the range first! Then Remove the bake burner assembly and where the igniter glows you'll see small port holes. Take a wire brush and clean the burner assembly. Be sure to get the small port holes next to the igniter.

Also check the rest of the small port holes on the oven bake burner assembly, lots of the small port holes may be partially clogged/gunked up.

Here's the oven ignitor for your model:
WB13K21 Oven Igniter

I always use a clamp-style amp meter to check the amps when I first turn it ON.

C-OVEN AMPS.jpg

Let us know what you find.

Jake

JWKinRVA

Premium Member
Jake,

Thanks for the help.

I am in Florida for a few more days wrapping up my father's funeral and cremation before driving back to Virginia at which point I will begin the oven repair process.

You will most likely hear back from me late next week with more questions or an update on my progress with the oven.

Thanks, again, for your help.

JWK in RVA

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok JWK, thanks for the update, sorry for your loss. I lost my father in 2013, it was very difficult for me too!

Jake

JWKinRVA

Premium Member
Jake,

I have been procrastinating since we last exchanged posts in January.

Well, late last night my wife informed me that I must install the new igniter before her mother arrives Thursday night. (Yes, it is a genuine GE Appliance replacement part as you always advise.)

Unfortunately, I had back surgery at the end of November, so my 22-year old son has to do the actual work while I have been reduced to the role of "technical advisor" or as my son says, "the blind leading the blind," which is not necessarily inaccurate. The problem is my son does not embrace my guiding principle in all things DIY... "Action before Competency" Rather, his guiding principle in all things unknown is "Analysis until Paralysis".

I have culled a good number of posts that collectively satisfy my requirements to move forward. Unfortunately, my son has told me that he really wants the service or repair manual for my CGS985SETSS and if the manual assumes the reader is range-repair savvy, then he wants a step-by-step set of instructions from someone whose experience is not limited to reading six repair threads. Ouch!

I was wondering if you could help satisfy my son's requests or knew someone who could?

Thank you very much for considering my request.

Sincerely,

JWK in RVA

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I wasn't able to locate the STEP by STEP guide to replace the oven glow bar ignitor, but to remove your oven door follow these instructions on page 24 here: https://products.geappliances.com/M.../Dispatcher?RequestType=PDF&Name=49-85233.pdf

Once the oven door is removed, DISCONNECT POWER TO THE RANGE, then this video below that gives you the general idea of how to remove and replace the oven glow bar igniter:

Jake

JWKinRVA

Premium Member
Jake,

Thank you very much for your prompt reply.

I think the two resources will meet my son's needs and that will be really helpful.

I really appreciate your help and I'll let you know how it goes which has to be done tonight or tomorrow morning.

Thanks again,

JWK in RVA

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds good JWK in RVA, yes let us know how it goes.:)

Jake