• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Smell of gas from oven when being used - GE Café (GE Cafe) Series Range - Model: CGS985SETSS

JWKinRVA

Premium Member
Model Number
CGS985SET1SS
Brand
GE
When we moved into our new home in Richmond, Virginia last July it came with an 8-year old GE Café (GE Cafe) Series Range - Model: CGS985SETSS manufactured in March 2012 (Contractor installed).

During the hot summer, we could smell gas 50% of the time the oven was used in convection-mode and 0% of the time the oven was used in conventional-mode.

As the weather got colder, it seemed as though we could smell gas more often than during the summer and whether being used in convection- and conventional-mode.

It is now winter and whenever the oven is used, whether in convection- and conventional-mode, we can smell gas.

A handyman down the street said is sounded like the ignitor needed to be replaced. As I thought about his recommendation, I wondered:
  1. Does the ignitor fire the oven once at the beginning of a baking cycle or intermittently during the baking cycle?
  2. Does the ignitor fail catastrophically or incrementally?
  3. Looking back to the operation of the oven during the summer, why would a failing ignitor behave differently in convection-mode than in conventional-mode?
  4. Does this difference in behavior suggest two possible problems?
Frankly, answers to my questions are certainly not necessary, but help fixing my gas smell problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

JWKinRVA

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
1. Yes, the oven ignitor comes on when you first start the oven, then cycles OFF and ON to maintain your setpoint temperature.
2. It gets weak overtime and draws lets amps, and it can open the oven safety gas valve slow and not all the way, thus the smell of gas. Normal amps should always be 3.2 amps or higher for it to perform well and open the gas valve quickly and instantly, thus you don't have the gas smell.
3. That's a good question, but I don't know the answer to that one.:)
4. No, usually its just the oven ignitor. But on rare occasions the burner port holes can clog and cause this gas smell as well--->Unplug the range first! Then Remove the bake burner assembly and where the igniter glows you'll see small port holes. Take a wire brush and clean the burner assembly. Be sure to get the small port holes next to the igniter.

Also check the rest of the small port holes on the oven bake burner assembly, lots of the small port holes may be partially clogged/gunked up.

Here's the oven ignitor for your model:
GE WB13K21 Oven Igniter

I always use a clamp-style amp meter to check the amps when I first turn it ON.

C-OVEN AMPS.jpg

Let us know what you find.

Jake

JWKinRVA

Premium Member
Jake,

Thanks for the help.

I am in Florida for a few more days wrapping up my father's funeral and cremation before driving back to Virginia at which point I will begin the oven repair process.

You will most likely hear back from me late next week with more questions or an update on my progress with the oven.

Thanks, again, for your help.

JWK in RVA

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok JWK, thanks for the update, sorry for your loss. I lost my father in 2013, it was very difficult for me too!

Jake