• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake

SMH1816S Samsung Microwave Latch Broken

Beth Penfold

Premium Member
Model
SMH1816S
Brand
Samsung
Default Samsung Microwave latch broken

My microwave wasn’t latching shut. We have to hold in closed in order to use the microwave. I took off the panel and saw that the latch on the inside of the door (that the spring connects to)looks broken. The spring has nothing to connect to on the inside. Is there any fix for this other than buying a new door, or worse, have to buy a new microwave?? Please help.

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

I took off the panel and saw that the latch on the inside of the door (that the spring connects to)looks broken.
Which end broke off? From the plastic door key? From the tab in the inner door panal?

Door-Hook-DE64-01308A-01095122.jpg Microwave door key or door latch

jeff.

Beth Penfold

Premium Member
Hello!

It is broke on the actual inner door. I had assumed the door key was the broken part so I bought a new one. When I went in to replace it that is when I discovered the little latch was broken on the door itself. That new part didn’t help me at all. Now I’m afraid the only way around this is anew door or new microwave.

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
It is broke on the actual inner door.
I usually drill a small hole next to where the original hook broke off and use the hole to hook the spring into.

jeff.