• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake

SMH2117S/XAA-0001 No Power Samsung Microwave

dmo069

Premium Member
Model Number
SMH2117S
Brand
Samsung
Had a problem with door switch. Unplugged main board and removed switch to determine part number. Switch fell apart. I put it back together. Then I proceeded to plug main board in wrong. Loud pop. breaker went out. I can't believe I missed the color coding when putting back. Replaced main board.

Outlet is good. Main fuses have continuity. Some thermostats have continuity and some don't. 2 near front, right bottom of chassis - Left one does not and right one does. 1 at top of chassis near cooking chamber has continuity. 1 above magnetron has continuity. Not sure where to go from here. Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
I don't have a wire diagram for that model. Can you post a copy of yours here? It would be most helpful.

rickgburton

Staff member
That works! So the microwave is completely dead, no display and nothing works, correct? Locate connector CN101 on the board and check for 120 VAC

rickgburton

Staff member
According to the wire diagram, all the TCO's are normally closed. Take the two wires off the one that was open and temporarily short them together and see if it turns on.

rickgburton

Staff member
Do I check the black and red cable going to that connector?
OK, recheck the main fuse and the high power fuse on the noise filter. If both check good measure the voltage at the in connector and out connector on the noise filter. The in connector has a black and a white wire and so does the out connector. You should have 120 VAC both times.

rickgburton

Staff member
Should I be able to measure any voltage across the fuses?
No, you have 120 VAC coming out of the noise filter so locate CN101 on the board The black wire becomes an orange wire and the white wire becomes a gray wire, Check for 120 VAC across the two wires in the CN101 connector. Here's a diagram:
CN101.jpg

rickgburton

Staff member
The manual just shows the one board. In the one you just posted follow the steps for Tip 1-9 step 2 on page 18 and check for 120 VAC if that's your board.

rickgburton

Staff member
No problem, Your new board is bad. Can you exchange it where you got it?

rickgburton

Staff member
That's supply voltage for the entire machine. If a fuse was open the voltage would be 0. That also supplies the low voltage for the display