• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake

FIXED SMK9175ST Making loud buzzing sound when door is closed

slofton79

Premium Member
Model
SMK9175ST
Brand
Samsung
Hi there. I am having the exact same issue that was shown in the video with my Samsung microwave. Microwave operates as normal when in use (light and fan comes on, turntable turns, food heats up) but there is a humming noise that continues after the cooking time has expired or when the unit is not being used but the door is closed. Open the door, the humming stops. My model number is SMK9175ST. Any suggestions on first steps to take to figure out the problem?

It sounds like this video:

[video=youtube_share;GbjvRZg8fMo]https://youtu.be/GbjvRZg8fMo[/video]

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

slofton79

Premium Member
Thank you so much for your help! Is there a way for me to test the power board to ensure that that is indeed the issue before ordering the part? Or is the control board the only thing it could be at this point?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
There's no way to test it as far as I know.

That's the only part left that would cause this problem.

Jake

slofton79

Premium Member
Thanks so much Jake. I have ordered the part and will hopefully have this thing fixed soon!

Thanks again for all the help!!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good.

Yes, keep us posted.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, glad to hear that.:)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

slofton79

Premium Member
Hey there. Sad to say that after a month, the issue came back. We continued to use it but would turn off the power when not in use so that the door didn't get closed accidentally. However, over the holidays, we had family in and out and the microwave door got shut unbeknownst to us. Once we discovered it, the microwave was off and wouldn't do anything. The power later came back on mysteriously but it does not cook in any way now. So, I fear she's a goner. BUT, was curious. Could this be a bad magnetron now? Curious because the microwave has a warranty on the magnetron, and I'm wondering if Samsung would fix it at this point. Probably not, but maybe worth a shot?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
How much warranty is on the magnetron?

What month, day and year did you buy this microwave?

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok,

Rick and Jeff are our microwave experts here, this thread is good to check out: FIXED: Kenmore 665.60659000 Loud buzzing, Not heating

They both explain about that hum/buzz noise, and what it could be, very good information in that thread.

And you can see the person was charged a service call even before the warranty kicked in for the magnetron.

Jake