So I just bought a 1950s GE Refrigerator

Vintesque

Premium Member
Hi all

I just bought a "working" 1950s GE Refrigerator from ebay for the grand total of £1.20 (that's around $1.50). Genuine American fridges are relatively rare here in the UK. I've always wanted one, and the price was too much to pass up.

The guy I bought it off is from England, but used to live in Houston, TX. About 10 years ago he worked for the AAA. He had a call out to a house to fix a car, and noticed the fridge in the garage. He asked the guy if it was for sale. He said it was, and paid $50 for it. The owner had bought it new in the 50s. When he eventually decided to move back to England, it came with him, with the intention of restoring it, but with a house move on the cards, he decided to sell it, hence putting it on ebay.

I've only just got it home, so haven't tested it yet. I'm leaving it upright for 24 hours first. I've checked the wiring to the compressor and is in good condition, and not brittle.

The reason for the post is to say hi, and to get a bit of help. I'm after identifying the model and year of manufacture. I've found this page to identify the date, but it doesn't correlate with the numbers I have found: How to Determine the Age or Manufacture Date of a GE Appliance

I have attached a couple of images of numbers I have found. The label is on the left side of the fridge, and the stamped number is in the middle of the frame behind the bottom cover. Are there any more?

2016-07-05 19.51.05.jpg 2016-07-05 20.14.13.jpg 2016-07-05 19.47.45.jpg

Vintesque

Premium Member
I found the info I was looking for. There's a further plate behind the bottom cover that I overlooked.

Anyway, I've plugged it in. The light comes on and the compressor is working. I turned the freezer (cold) dial behind the kickplate up full. I left it a few hours with a thermometer in the freezer section, but it's not getting any colder. The compressor is warm, as you'd expect. The condenser on the back is at room temperature. I can't really tell if the tube in the freezer section is any colder, but I can hear liquid flowing round it.

Does anyone have any pointers what to check next?