• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

    ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

    Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

    From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

    Jake

Sparks, flames and smoke!

cowman

Premium Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2009
Messages
33
Location
Utah
Model Number
721.62463200
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Age
6-10 years
While thawing hamburger, the microwave began to spark then appeared to be burning...actual flames on the inside behind control panel and then smoke. Stopped microwave immediately. There is a small burn mark on the inside by a removable panel. I removed the panel and I can see an orange fuse or some kind of sensor that appears to be burnt. Microwave display still works and comes on and turn table will run but I have not let it run long enough to see if it heats up. Dont want to burn the house down!
Any ideas of what this part is and can it be replaced.

Thank you.
 

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Jul 11, 2006
Messages
33,987
Location
Murray, Utah 84107, United States

cowman

Premium Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2009
Messages
33
Location
Utah
Ok pretty sure that is not the problem because it is pretty clean. Flames came from behind the cover. what about the sensor/fuse behind it. It is clearly burnt. it is orange and grey and the top part of it is burnt.
 

cowman

Premium Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2009
Messages
33
Location
Utah
Update

made sure everything was super clean. Started microwave...more flames within 5 seconds! The wave guide cover now actually has a hole burnt clear through it. Whatever that part behind the cover is, it is actually shooting flames when microwave is on.
 

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Jul 11, 2006
Messages
33,987
Location
Murray, Utah 84107, United States
Top