• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

    ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

    Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

    From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

    Jake

Sparks from WMH1163XVQ0 Whirlpool Microwave (Gnd wire?)

AstroP

Member
Joined
Sep 6, 2019
Messages
1
Location
Virginia Beach
Model Number
WMH1163XVQ0
Brand
Whirlpool
Age
6-10 years
Hello, when we turn on our microwave sparks come from the plastic part of what appears to be a grounding wire. The microwave still runs but obviously unusable right now. Is this an easy fix like replacing this wire or time for new microwave?

799DD12A-1342-477B-A1B1-8E47B1842A9E.jpeg
03387338-2801-4861-A8DE-ACF6611D3C82.jpeg
 

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Joined
Oct 9, 2004
Messages
2,013
Location
Canada
That is a diode not a wire. I've never seen sparks come from one without it actually blowing to smithereens but it is inexpensive to replace.

LINK > Whirlpool WMH1163XVQ0 Diode/Rectifier

BTW. The microwave oven will not heat without it.
 
Top