• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

SPE53U52UC Bosch Dishwasher - Water spray sounds different

Chicago Al

Premium Member
Model Number
SPE53U52UC
Brand
Bosch
We have had this 18" Bosch dishwasher for two years now, and have been very happy with it. Over the last 30 years in this house, we've had a few different DWs, same size due to our small kitchen, and the Bosch has more than justified its high price. To start with: it actually gets dishes clean, which none of the others did. And...well, that's enough right there. It's also quiet and probably much more energy efficient than previous DWs, though I can't state that for sure. All I've needed to do with it is clean out the easily-removable filter basket periodically. Did I mention how clean it gets the dishes, and the occasional pot or pan?

The anomaly I'm writing about today is that the sounds from the DW have changed recently. It's a water sound thankfully, not metal on metal or anything grinding. What it sounds like is that the water is now being sprayed directly against the interior of the door, or maybe at the top of the washer near the door. It's like a small hose directed against there and the stainless interior of course amplifies the sound. I first thought this might be due to some odd arrangement of dishes, but it's pretty consistent.

I'm running it now with no dishes in, just to check. The DW has the lower spray arm and two smaller ones, attached to the underside of the upper tray. All are turning okay as far as I can tell; of course they quickly stop when I open the door. There's maybe a little bit of friction on the lower one when I turn it by hand, but it's not tight at all. There's also a kind of spray wheel on the top center, and that turns very freely, seems to be spraying water.

Dishes are still coming out clean so maybe this is nothing to worry about. But any suggestions welcome.

Thanks as always!

Chicago Al

Premium Member
Follow up: all three spray arms came off easily and seemed in good shape, smooth, unbroken, clear of obstruction. I'm running the DW with Affresh now and spray noise seems the same, it's like there are two cycles, the second with higher pressure and that's when the sound is most pronounced. It seems kinda like there was a change in water pressure in the DW making the spray harder and louder, but idk why that would be.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Al,

I really would not know the cause, All I have owned dishwasher wise is Maytag and Whirlpool in my 54 years and I've had no problem with either ever, as a kid in 1970's my parents had a Magic Chef dishwasher, AVOCADO COLOR to boot LOL, and that thing was super loud but did a hell of a job cleaning.

Hopefully another tech. that's heard a Bosch change water spray pitch can shed some light on this, but if its still cleaning fine, then I would not worry about it.

Jake