FIXED Speed Queen AWN432SP - inconsistent water fill

Texclock

Premium Member
Model Number
AWN432SP
Brand
Speed Queen
Have had a problem with this machine ever since the warranty expired. Periodically, the water flow on the fill goes to almost nothing. I have checked and cleaned the strainer screens, and even replaced the hot/cold fill solenoid valves. Everything seemed to help but nothing has corrected the problem. I researched on line and I am thinking it could be the level diaphragm switch. The only problem is the levels seem to be be controllable and consistent. The only other thing is the timer, but again it appears to work consistently through the cycles. Anyone with some thoughts or ideas would be appreciated. We have found that if you manually advance the timer and restart the cycle sometimes the normal flow will return.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's very odd, never seen or heard of a problem like this on a Speed Queen.

Does it do it on both HOT COLD and WARM settings?

Jake

Texclock

Premium Member
That's what everyone says, but it occurs. Not every time, but eventually the water flow goes down to a trickle. Typically my wife uses the warm or cold setting. She says that it has happened in both settings. And moving the selector makes no difference. She has been able to get the normal flow back sometimes by manually advancing the timer around and restarting.

Yesterday, we had the problem with the first load. I removed and cleared both hose screens. The cold side was definitely blocked. Pipe scale from our most recent cold snap. After reattaching, I tried the fill and it was fine. The next attempt to fill the washer and it was back to almost nothing. I repeated the hose cleaning and found just a tiny bit of sediment.

This time I connected a garden hose and flushed the line for a couple of minutes. After flushing I connected the fill hoses and it worked fine for one fill cycle. After removing and checking the hoses again, I hooked everything up and my wife ran 6-7 loads without any problems. Like I said, according to some information I read about the only thing between the fill solenoids and power is the fill level diaphragm switch. But the levels appear to be stable and adjustable. I'm open for advice and suggestions.
Texclock

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I really don't know, sorry.

Hopefully another tech has seen this happen and shed some light on it for us.

Other than that, you'll likely need to have Speed Queen come out to see what's going on.

Jake

Texclock

Premium Member
I first installed some small test lights on both the hot and cold water solenoid valves. I had to see if I was dealing with an electrical issue or a mechanical issue. I taped the lights on top of the washer so they were visible while the machine was operating. Next, I replaced the fill hoses. The set that came with the washer had very fine strainer washers installed.

My replacement hoses had no strainers, just the strainer screens on the washer. We started using the washer and had no issues for several months. Then the cold water started trickling during the fill cycle. The solenoid indicator light for the cold water was lit so it wasn’t electrical.

I removed the hoses, checked the strainers and hoses for sediment, cleaned a small amount of sediment from the strainer and reconnected the hoses. Just a very small amount of sediment was present.

The washer has not given any more problems since then and it’s been way over a year. I would not have believed that just a small amount of sediment could have caused the problems but I haven’t had any issues since then.