• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Speed Queen Dryer trips breaker immediately

Sweetpea1107

Model Number
AGM699W
Brand
Speed Queen
So I have a fairly old (over 15 years) Speed Queen gas dryer that I've started having problems with recently. Every time I turn it on, it immediately trips the breaker. Initially, I was able to reset the breaker and after 3 or 4 tries, it would run. Most of the time it would finish the cycle, sometimes it would trip mid-cycle.

It has now started tripping the breaker as soon as it is turned on. It is the only thing plugged into the outlet, and when I've moved it to other outlets on different circuits, it trips those immediately too.

I'd like to be able to repair this if possible, but I'm at a loss as to what might be wrong. Annnnndddd...I will have a houseful of company showing up later in the week and staything through mid-month, so I would really, really like to get this resolved fairly quickly.

Help!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
It sounds like your timer contact is grounding out or your motor switch contact is grounding out. Try to start your dryer on AIR FLUFF/NO HEAT and see if it still trips your breaker.

If it is your timer that's causing this, unfortunately the timer is No Longer Available.

If it is the motor that's causing this, here's the motor for your model you can order:
WP2200376 Dryer Motor

Jake

Mrsfixitz

Premium Member
Speed Queen dryer trips breaker right away

Like Sweetpea1107, I am having the same problem. My dryer worked very well up until last weekend. Now, every time I try to start it, it trips the breaker. I've tried two different outlets, but the results are the same.

I saw that a year ago Jake had said to Sweetpea1107, "It sounds like your timer contact is grounding out or your motor switch contact is grounding out. Try to start your dryer on AIR FLUFF/NO HEAT and see if it still trips your breaker."

I tried it and my dryer runs on air fluff/ no heat, and when I try the heat settings it trips again.

Any suggestions for what may be causing this and how to fix it? Thanks for your help.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Do you have this exact Speed Queen model number AGM699W?

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, then the heat circuit at the motor switch or timer is grounding out causing this, but I don't have the wiring diagram for this model, so I can't tell you which contacts to ohm test to ground.

Look for your wiring diagram inside the console and scan it then upload it here.

Jake

Mrsfixitz

Premium Member
IMG_0021.jpg Here is the diagram as requested. Thanks for your help!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks, Looks like it would be motor contacts 1, 2, and 6. Ohm test each to ground.

Jake