• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Speed Queen Dryer Won't Start

indyattic

Premium Member
Model Number
AGM479W
Brand
Speed Queen
[h=1]Hi guys, long time no see!

My dryer is natural gas, if that matters.

This started a couple of weeks ago, like this: I pushed the timer to start it, and it made a buzzing noise before it started. Then it ran a few times just fine, then did it again. Then one day it would not start, it just buzzed. I held it in and it smelled hot, and then wouldn't even buzz. A little while later, I tried it and it buzzed then started.

As the week went on, I got less starting and more buzzing until one day it would not start at all. So I pulled it out and checked the back to see if there was anything obvious I could see, like a loose belt or an accumulation of lint. I cleaned a little lint out, but it really wasn't significant. But when I put it back together, it ran again for a day or two, then it started buzzing before it started, then quit starting.

It has now stopped running three times. Both previous times, when I took off the exhaust pipe and cleaned it, it ran, but not this time. What's my next step?[/h]

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member

indyattic

Premium Member
Thanks! Usually the motor is the item that is my decider when weighing replacement versus repair. Dryers seem to be pretty freely available used and there are dryers that work perfectly fine being replaced for no other reason than the washing machine failed. But my truck is also out of service, so I might just have to replace the motor and wait another 10 years for it to fail.

Thanks for your help, I will post back and hit the tip jar when it's up and running again!

jeff1

Staff member
Please do let us know how the repair or replacement of the dryer goes.

jeff.

indyattic

Premium Member
Please do let us know how the repair or replacement of the dryer goes.

jeff.
Could be better! I am just now replacing this motor. I am going to try to embed 2 pictures. My problem seems to be disengaging the motor from the blower wheel. If there is supposed to be a nut on the inside of the blower, it is stripped. I can't figure out how to get the motor off of the blower.

jeff1

Staff member
The blower wheel unscrews off the motor shaft of the motor.
Use a socket and ratchet to unscrew the blower wheel off....if it still refuses, break it and get a new blower wheel.

Blower-Wheel-56000-01168739.jpg Blower wheel

jeff.

indyattic

Premium Member
My problem is that I can't access the motor shaft to hold it while unscrewing the wheel, so it just spins. How do keep the shaft from spinning?

jeff1

Staff member
Vice gripes on the belt end of the motor shaft.

jeff.

indyattic

Premium Member

I am really frustrated. I think at this point I am just going to return the motor and invest in a newer dryer. The blower wheel turns independently of the nut or whatever. See that blackish line there? The wheel will spin there when I hold the shaft and turn it. It is not loose - if I spin the shaft the blower wheel spins like it should. It just will not unscrew.

jeff1

Staff member
Vice gripes on the belt end of the motor shaft.
See pic.

I see the part where the socket and rachet would have went is all messed up :(

If you can't break off the plastic part, then you might as well invest in another dryer.

jeff.

Attachments

indyattic

Premium Member
Yes - it's the darndest thing! I can put the vice grips in place, and can even turn the "messed up" part with a wrench, but the wheel will not unscrew.

I am going to sleep on it. I hate being beaten by an uppity basement dweller.

jeff1

Staff member
Hammer and chisle and see what happens.

jeff.

indyattic

Premium Member
This is the worst project I've tried in a long time. I busted the old blower wheel off but I still can't get this freaking thing loose. There's a round thing on the shaft, and I can't get it loose. I have wrench on the motor, and vise grips on the thing, but it won't budge. Either the vise grips slip, or it won't move. Am I even turning it the right way? (left?) What else can I do to get this loose?