Speed Queen H 5000 got better!

Sam L. Archer

Premium Member
My Speed Queen washing machine H 5000 (build date approx. 1985) had a leaking shaft gland seal, but healed up on its own after about two years regular use. Replacing the seal was impossible because of 1.) non-availability of part and 2.) impossibility of disassembling that sub-assembly; so I just maintained the rest of the machine, did some modifications to its controls, changed out the water valves and put a pad under it to catch the dripping water.

After each laundry session I would remove the front and dry it all out inside. About three months ago, I noticed the pad being dry when I pulled it out. Sure enough, the gland seal has stopped leaking.

This machine was taken out of service for about four years and then re-worked and re-started by me about two years ago. I guess the gland seal has absorbed enough water or caught enough lint to tighten up.

Jake stated that Speed Queen builds the most reliable machines and I am here to testify in agreement. There were some lessons I had to learn about this machine as I operated it to wash my fabrics, but through it all it was reliable for me and remains a treasure.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Sam, glad to hear that.(y)

Yes, Speed Queen is Top Notch!

Jake

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.