• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Speed Queen Washer AWN432SP111TW Noise

mbklaus

Premium Member
Model Number
AWN432SP111TW
Brand
Speed Queen
Speed Queen top load washer < 5 years old.

Can anyone suggest what might be the source of this sound? Occurs after the agitation cycle starts and after about 10-15 seconds of "normal" sounding agitation. And is then constant.

I plan to disassemble after work today to look for possible causes but thought someone might be able to recognize this or suggest a place to focus on.

I've repaired my Whirlpool and Kenmore's numerous times but this will be the first time tackling a Speed Queen - which I had hoped would wait a few more than 4 years before I needed to do anything like this.

Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

I'd first remove the drain pump and check for something in it making that noise. Also check your belt and idler pulley.

Here's the drain pump for your model:
201566P Direct Drive Water Pump

There is a video on how to access it here:

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

mbklaus

Premium Member
Thank you, Jake, for the quick response! I will do that this evening and let you know what I find.

mbklaus

Premium Member
Looks like the belt is throwing off pieces. In fact, one piece was wedged between the belt and the idler. I may buy the pump too; not sure. Do you think just the belt coming apart like that could make that kind of noise, perhaps from pieces getting wedged between belt and idler?

Attachments

• pump_and_belt.jpg
    pump_and_belt.jpg
    343.4 KB · Views: 19

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, I see, that does look bad.

Do you think just the belt coming apart like that could make that kind of noise, perhaps from pieces getting wedged between belt and idler?
Possibly, does the Idler pulley look in good shape? The Idler pulley turns freely?

Speed Queen makes a kit that contains BOTH the drain pump and belt together, its much less expensive.

Here it is:
RB150003 KIT,BELT&PUMP

Jake

mbklaus

Premium Member
Idler turns freely and looks to be in good shape. I order the pump and belt - but not before you posted about the bundle/kit! Oh well. I will let you know how it works after install.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, no worries, yes keep us posted.

Jake

mbklaus

Premium Member
It's the idler pulley for sure. Easy to detect once I had the new belt on. Will confirm once I get one and install.