• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

SPT Mini Fridge no longer working (compressor seems to be functioning right)

mcpoyles

Premium Member
Model Number
RF-250SS
Brand
My SPT (sunpentown) mini fridge is 5 months out of its 1 year warranty and the manufacturer says I'm SOL. I'm not sure what is wrong with it or if it is fixable. But I'm hoping it is something you all will know what to fix. At least by knowing its a goner I won't feel bad getting rid of it.

Symptoms:
The main mini fridge will not go below a temp. of 60 degrees. However, the freezer will go below 40 degrees. When I plug in the mini fridge it does NOT make any random noises like clicks. It actually sounds the exact same while running as it did before it wouldn't go low in temp.

However, the compressor get's crazy hot to the touch after is has been running for a short while. After I had run the mini fridge for 2 hours it was at about 300 degrees. If I run it for 15 minutes it gets to about 187 degrees.

Here is a link the back of my fridge. I took the cap off the box next to the condenser so you could see. SPT Mini Fridge Link

I'm ready and willing to try anything you suggest because it isn't gonna get any better without trying. Please any help would be amazing, thanks so much!

Here is some details about the fridge:
Model: RF-250SS
Voltage 115v
MFR: 34HL48579-00918

Attachments

• 1 - ep11icn.jpg
    1 - ep11icn.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 313
  • 2 - S8MPA95.jpg
    2 - S8MPA95.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 162

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

The main mini fridge will not go below a temp. of 60 degrees. However, the freezer will go below 40 degrees

Do you own a boat?
Cause you seem to have a good boat anchor.
Running but not cooing is a system problem....leaker, restriction, inefficient compressor or any combination of these = BIG$ repair or new unit time.

jeff.