FIXED SRD26VW Amana side by side shorting

Scott B

Premium Member
Model Number
SRD26VW
Brand
Amana
My extra garage fridge went kaput. When I plug it in to ANY outlet it shorts the outlet. Any clues? I took the thing apart but did not see any bad wires, etc. I removed the start relay, etc. and it checked ok for continuity. Compressor checks out at 7 ohms.

Any idea what I should be looking for?

Thanks.

Scott B

Premium Member
I measured between two pins and it read 3 ohms, then between another two pins and it read 4 ohms and which totaled 7 ohms. I did not pay attention to where the Common was at the time. I just tested between pins. I will have to look closer when I get home. The start relay and the overload are removed. I also removed the defrost timer from the front in order to maybe see how to test that. With those parts removed it still shorts my outlet.

Last edited:

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member

Scott B

Premium Member
Finally got around to checking the thermostat. It shows ohms of resistance passing through when it's disconnected and the switch is turned on. So, I assume it's supposed to be isolated. Anyway, if that's so, the switch is bad? Also, I saw someone use a trick and short the wires together. I did that and plugged fridge in. I thought it would have maybe started but it just shorted the circuit again.

I did notice I have only been plugging this into a GFI circuit. I will look for a non GFI to plug it into.

Thanks for your help.

Scott B

Premium Member
Ok, need to update what went on. When the fridge went dead I tested it on another plug, on another circuit. Blew it also. Figured something was wrong. Took it apart to look at things and everything tested out fine. Then, while searching around I read about problems with GFI circuits. Volla! I was plugging into two separate circuits on a GFI. Put in a normal plug and all is well....except, now my fridge runs constantly. It cools perfectly, however, I never saw it cycle off once.

When I went to change out the overload (mine is the older style that has a separate overload and start relay. When I put the overload in I noticed it did not seat well and I must have bent it where the compressor pin goes in. I tried to close it a bit so it seated properly, however, I busted one half. Picked up a new overload. Mine had two spades on it. The one I picked up had one spade. I just wired the blue and black together and hooked them to the new spade (to the C) or top pin.

Not sure if it is that, or if I just wired the R or S improperly.

Any ideas what would make i

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
You wired it right if both wires were on the old overload. Make sure all the panels and covers are installed. If there is a cover for the machine compartment be sure it is on. Set the controls to the factory settings. After 24 hours the freezer should be 0*F and Fresh Food 37*F.

Scott B

Premium Member
I left the panels off because I thought I had to get to them. I will get to them tomorrow and then see how things go.

Thanks.

Scott B

Premium Member
The fridge and freezer compartments were working properly. All covers are back on. My question was why the compressor never seemed to turn off or cycle off. Maybe I just wasn't there the they did. It made me wonder if I had wired something wrong. I put the panel on last night let it run and it was cooling. I will check temperatures when I get home later.

Thanks.