SRI20S2E Constant Running After Charging

clutchrider

Premium Member
Model Number
SRI20S2E
Brand
Amana
So last year we had a tech come out as the unit was letting ice cream get all soft and melty, while everything else stayed frozen. He noted there is a small super tiny leak somewhere inside that is not easily or worth the repair but if I was not in the market for a new unit he recommended topping off the R134a and seeing how long it lasts. Upon doing this the temps immediately dropped and lasted for about 8 months (within the 6mo to 1 year he estimated). He said since he installed the pinch valve I could easily add myself if I felt the need.

This past week it started melting the ice cream again. So I picked up a 12oz can, connected it with my gauge to the pinch valve with the fridge running and charged. Afterwards, the temperature does not seem to want to go below 15F after the charge and the unit is constantly running. Let sit overnight and no temp change either. So now I'm hoping to see if I possibly overcharged or if it needs more than the 1 can that was used.

Any thoughts, or should I just call it and go get some scratch and dent unit? We did not want to spend $$$ on a fridge right now because we are not redoing the kitchen so not worth replacing with some high end appliance that may not match the rest when we remodel. That is years away.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
He put R134a into an R12 refrigeration system!?? :stupid:

A domestic refrigerator usually takes less that 6 oz of refrigerant. I imagine a whole can of refrigerant (even the very smallest!) must contain many, many times that amount. If you used anywhere close to a whole can, it is severely overcharged.

My opinion is to buy another refrigerator.

JMO

Dan O.

clutchrider

Premium Member
Going to do some shopping Friday for a new unit, not worth the hassle of continuing to deal with it. I figured I overcharged but it would have still cooled down. The unite takes R134a but the pinch fitting he installed is an R12 fitting. So I had to get the adapted to work on my gauge and connectors.