Starting a 1920 Antique Magic Chef Oven for the first time

MrClickBoy

Premium Member
Model Number
Unknown
We have a beautiful 1920's era Magic Chef Gas Oven, but I don't know what I need to do to run it on propane.

I've never had it setup or working, so I don't know if it's intended for LP or NG. Nor do I know if I need a regulator or how to hook it up to a propane bottle. I found a direct hose, which allowed me to hook it up to propane bottle, it comes on with a FURY, even the smallest increase in the knob causes it to shoot flames 3-4 inches high.

Any ideas?

Model Number is too difficult to see.

Magic Chef Oven.jpgMagic Chef Oven ID.jpg

Last edited:

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
You'll need a gas regulator set up for LP. Any of the home centers should have them. You will also need to see if the orifice is adjustable.

MrClickBoy

Premium Member
Are all Propane Regulators the same?

You'll need a gas regulator set up for LP. Any of the home centers should have them. You will also need to see if the orifice is adjustable.

Thanks for the fast response. Are all Propane Regulators the same?

I thought I'd seen something about adjustable regulators and multi-step (or perhaps two-step) regulators. Do I need to mess w/ that? Or should I assume, to begin with, that there is a "standard" regulator?

Thank you again for your help!

MrClickBoy

Premium Member
I got my antique stove working!

I got it working! Wow, this was so much easier than I thought! I got a sufficiently long gas line, and a standard LP Regulator. When I started it up, it was blowing blue/orange/yellow. But I noticed that there were 1/2" adjustable orifice caps behind each burner valve (the knobs where you turn it on). I messed w/ them turning them clock-wise and counter-clock-wise, until I was able to get a nice clean blue flame. After that I looked inside under the range next to the broiler and found a similar 1/2" adjustable orifice cap and adjusted it... in about 15 minutes I was able to get this stove, which I know from the previous owner; who hadn't lit it since he bought it in the 70's, up and running. After running it, and messing with it for about 1 hour outside the house, my son and I moved it into our little kitchen, and have been running it for about 5 days, and my wife loves it!

The biggest downside is that the oven warms up the whole house when we bake, but since I'm an off-grider, I don't mind the extra heat right now. By the summer, I should have my rather large front porch finished, and I'll move the stove outside. The stove is beautiful, simple to use, solid and has a feeling of simple, durable design. I love it.

Rick... thank you for encouraging me to move forward on this... I couldn't be happier!Magic Chef Oven.jpg

Last edited: