Status light blinks 5 times - issue?

CalgaryDave

Premium Member
Model Number
ED2FHEXTS02
Brand
Whirlpool
I'm trying to find out what it means when the water filter status light on my Whirlpool side-by-side blinks red/yellow five times then goes back to green every now & then when I open the door.

I've only recently replaced the filter, so it can't be just about that...

Everything about the unit seems to work well - the ice maker makes ice, water dispenser dispenses water, freezer freezes & refrigerator refrigerates!

I tried to find info on this site (browsed a number of threads) and around the web, but either my search terms are useless or there's nothing published for public consumption to explain what the "5-blink" signal means. It's been quite a frustrating experience!

Does anyone have any knowledge they can share to shed light on this "5-blink" issue?

Many thanks in advance!
Dave

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Dave I assume you pressed the water filter reset button after changing the filter?

If so and same results, then its the control board thats faulty.

Here's the control board that controls that light:
Manufacturer's Number: W10135900

Jake

CalgaryDave

Premium Member
Thanks for the reply, Jake!

So it's definitely a problem, but just with the light controller? That would explain why everything is still working fine apart from that blinking!

I'm still really new to this board, so is there another thread or part of this site that explains how to replace the board we're talking about? I'm pretty handy so if it's relatively easy to access I might be able to switch it out myself, and save me the $$s for a service call. :)

Thanks again!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, here's the parts diagram, the control board is #6.

The #25 trim just un-snaps, don't worry you won't break it.:) Get a flathead screwdriver and just pry at a corner then it all will un-snap, and the screws are underneath it.

There should be 2 screws in front#31 and 2 screws underneath#7 that come out and the console with drop down a bit to change it, the control board is held in with 2 screws.

Unplug your refrigerator first!

Jake

CalgaryDave

Premium Member
Thanks, Jake - that's exactly what I needed to know. You're the best!

I can definitely do all of that.

Thanks again - you saved me a lot of worry, hassle and money!
Dave

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to help Dave, keep us posted on the outcome.:)

Jake