• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Strange Problems with 2 Refrigerators - No water after we were away for 4 days

DoraC

Premium Member
10/16/21
Maytag MFI2568AES purchased 7/2007
Frigidaire LFSS2612TE purchased 7/21

As of last Sunday both refrigerators were working fine. On Monday the wife and I went away for 4 days. As I normally do I shut off the
house water main line. When we came home the first thing I did was turn the water main back on. The next day the wife went to get some water
from the maytag thru door dispenser and got no water, I thought it was just some air in the line and told her to just keep trying...she never got
any water. I can hear the water valve buzzing each time the dispenser is depressed. We have held it for the 3 minutes before it locks out.
Also we have found out we are not getting any water to the ice maker. I have pushed string trimmer line approx. 4 feet up through the dispenser tube,
no sign of blockage or frozen ice blockage, have unplugged the refrige for 4 to 5 hours thinking to thaw or reset. There is no filter installed just the factory bypass plug that it came with. We have plenty of water pressure to the connector at the back of the fridge.

Now it gets better.... the Frigidaire in the basement is doing the EXACT same thing.
I'm at a loss...Please help,
Thanks for any help...Andy

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The closer we get to Halloween the more gremlins foul up home appliances, trust me every October this happens. @rickgburton knows this all too well too. LOL

I will ask Rick what he thinks, but this is just way to odd to happen, seriously!

Jake

DoraC

Premium Member
Jake thanks for the reply...yeah I can't believe it either...just got done messing with the maytag to prove to the wife that
there is water going to the supply line at the back and then to show her the line is not frozen I blew low pressure air through the refridge and had her hold her finger on the dispenser arm and over the dispenser tube to prove not frozen...yes air came through. Hooked everything back up and still no success. Then went down to the Frigidaire and basically did the same things and no success there either....I'm going nuts.
Thanks for any help....Andy

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Is there any construction going on nearby? Sand can block the screens in the valves.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Don't troubleshoot both at the same time. Start with one then do the next one. On the Maytag, disconnect the water lines until you find where you lose the water. I think the reservoirs in each machine is probably frozen from not being used. Here's the water schematic for both machines. You can check the water filter and reservoir by disconnecting the water line at the "in" port on the water valve.

R-Water schematic Frigidaire.jpg
R-water schematic MFI.jpg

DoraC

Premium Member
Thanks both Jake and Rick, it turned out that it was a funky coincidence...just my luck I guess.
Both fridges are back up and running as they should. I had to change the water/solenoid valve in the maytag or at least after I changed it it's working again, both the ice and water.
The frigidaire was frozen up, so I shut it down completely last night and let it thaw out, today reconnected water lines and plugged it back in and so far it is working again, just have to wait to be sure it is making ice again.
I'm still blaming my wife as the root cause of the problem as she was the one that had to get away for a few days.
She doesn't think that's funny.
Thanks to both of you for your efforts.
Andy