• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Stumped on my LG French Door LFX29945ST Refrigerator - Not cooling

QuadRAGIN

Premium Member
Model Number
LFX29945ST
Brand
LG
So, my background is I am an Instrument and Control Technician and I do automotive repairs including Auto A/C.
Here is our situation
Our LG quite working, so I called LG and the compressor was under warranty, I found an authorized repair center, they came out and said ya the compressor is bad, but we also need to change the condenser.
for an extra fee of course, OK.
He changes the compressor, filter/drier and condenser, and the unit runs fine for 5 days and quiets cooling. ( I never saw him open the upper back panel to update the firmware for the new universal compressor.)
They come back out, there is a leak and change the evaporator, and the unit works great for about 5 days.
They come back out again and say there was a clog he pulled a vacuum and recharged and guess what 5 days later and unit failed again.
They refund my money...
The tech never blew out the lines with nitrogen, so I figure the filter/drier is clogged up, I order one blow everything out with nitrogen replace the filter/drier, pull a vacuumed and charge with 5.11oz of 134a.
Unit not cooling. - I'm thinking maybe because he did not update the firmware?
I could only pull 10psi of Vaccuum - I tried two different pump and bought a new Robinair 2 stage thinking mine has failed.
High side from the filter/drier is running at 75PSI/134aDeg
Low side is just under 0psi
The compressor is drawing 1.1amp AC
Doing the control board button push test I get 22 and 22 on the door water/ice panel.

Thanks for all you help..

Last edited:

ApplianceBCS

Premium Member
Definitely need the firmware update with that new compressor. But it sounds like their welds have a leak in them. Usually on the steel to copper line (Condenser High Side) and the Drier Steel line. Most guys struggle with these welds. If you want a visual where the leak is I would install a UV Dye Drier (Supco and LG makes one as well) The LG Version is pretty pricey for a drier. Other than that you can run up to the local A/C shop and get some Nu-Calgon Gas Leak Detector and check all the welded spots to see if there is any activity. Sometimes its hard to see and that's where the UV Dye Drier will help out. Never see these units having leaks from the evaporator as well. Occasionally I will see leaks in the Condenser from being inside the water pan.

QuadRAGIN

Premium Member
Definitely need the firmware update with that new compressor. But it sounds like their welds have a leak in them. Usually on the steel to copper line (Condenser High Side) and the Drier Steel line. Most guys struggle with these welds. If you want a visual where the leak is I would install a UV Dye Drier (Supco and LG makes one as well) The LG Version is pretty pricey for a drier. Other than that you can run up to the local A/C shop and get some Nu-Calgon Gas Leak Detector and check all the welded spots to see if there is any activity. Sometimes its hard to see and that's where the UV Dye Drier will help out. Never see these units having leaks from the evaporator as well. Occasionally I will see leaks in the Condenser from being inside the water pan.
yes that is where HE said the condenser was leaking and that's why the compressor went bad...
As fa as leaks, head vacuum for well over an hour, I also used soapy water, I redid all the brazing after I De-Brazed from the compressor to purge with N2 and when I installed the new Filter/Drier. I also recharged with Dyed 134A.
What about my pressures?
I have the updater on the way

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.