Sub Zero BI-42SD icemaker not working

CubeLess

Premium Member
Model Number
BI-42SD/S/CH
Brand
Sub Zero
I've got a Sub Zero side by side fridge freezer. The model number on the plate reads "BI-42SD/S/CH" serial number F29335##.

The ice maker stopped working without any warning. I've turned it off and on a few times with no effect. The arm that senses when the ice bin is full moves freely and seems to be in the right position. The water through the door works fine, and we've run many liters of water through it since the ice maker stopped.

If I manually fill the ice mold with water (using a small measuring cup), it will make ice and properly dump the ice, but it won't refill the mold and start a new batch.

The water line leading into the freezer compartment seems to be heated slightly to keep it above freezing; and it does feel slightly warmer (well, slightly less cool) than adjacent parts.

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

CubeLess

Premium Member
Thank you for the reply.

To be clear, do you mean the part numbered 56 on page 8 of the attached PDF (which is numbered page 75 at the bottom), and which is described as "Valve, Water Dual Svce" on the preceding page?

I can see that under the fridge (with the kick plate removed), but I can't really get it out from under the fridge. The water line into the front of it, and (it feels like) at least one wiring bundle plugged into the back of it both lack enough slack for me to be able to move that part more than an inch or so. (it appears to be just resting on the bracket numbered 55 and not fastened to it, by the way).

Can you suggest some other way to test the solenoid? Presumably, there may be some pair of wires on a connector to the icemaker that talk to this solenoid...could I jumper across or energize that pair to perform the solenoid test?

Alternatively, if we assume the solenoid that feeds the icemaker is good, what would be the next thing to test? (This part seems to have two solenoids - one that feeds the chilled water tank (which is clearly working) and one that feeds the icemaker.)

Thanks again.

Attachments

CubeLess

Premium Member
I just found the service manual; I'll work through the icemaker chapter and post my results later in a day or so.

For anyone who stumbles across this thread in the future who is looking for the manuals, the parts list and exploded diagrams for the BI series can be found with a google search for "sub-zero 7005334" and the technical service manual can be found with a search for "sub-zero 7005333"

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, #56.

Sorry for the delay, been swamped with service calls.

I haven't worked on many Sub-Zero models, and the ones I have its been like 20 years ago, so I really don't know how to access it on this model to do the cheater test cord procedure I posted above, but that service manual you located should give you instructions on how to access it to do that.

Jake