• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Subzero 690 light bulb replacement

dxg

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sub Zero
I need to replace the light bulb(s) in the control panel of a 690. That is the vertical panel in the fridge section where you have the temp up and down buttons, etc. I need to know how that panel comes out to get to the bulbs. Any info appreciated. Thanks.

dxg

Premium Member
I found the answer in the service manual. No way to quickly replace the light bulbs. A fairly involved procedure.

paulhl

Premium Member
Eezy peezy--remove lite cover, then far left bulb. Remove upper & lower screws in panel, push to rear and remove. There's your bulb

dxg

Premium Member
You forgot that you also need to remove the panel in front of the lite cover.
And no to "there's your bulb". Not quite. There is a long 40w bulb, that's easy and irrelevant. Then there are the 3 small night light style 7w bulbs behind the control panel. They illuminate the pushbuttons and LCD display. Absolutely essential. Those are not removable with normal adult male fingers. You need to find a person with good dexterity and small/thin fingers to reach and unscrew them from behind the panel.
Not eezy peezy at all compared to replacing bulbs on a normal fridge, but consistent with the Subzero's poor engineering.

dxg

Premium Member
The 40w was out but it doesn't matter, it doesn't serve any useful function. Of the 3 small bulbs behind the control panel, 2 were out so you couldn't see the display. The LCD panel is passive, you can't see anything if the top bulb is out. As I said, consistent with everything else on this fridge. POS engineering.

paulhl

Premium Member
Had to replace the water line to the tank today. While I was at it I replaced the lower bulb and the tubular one. Like I said eezy peezy. You must have very large hands?

dxg

Premium Member
No, just average adult male hands. Try replacing the top bulb. That is the critical one, as it lights the digital LCD display. Without it, you can't read the display. In fact, if you have it open, now is a good time to replace the top bulb with an LED bulb so it never burns out.

paulhl

Premium Member
The next time I do call where the homeowner never vacuums the condenser and causes the water lines to become brittle and crack I'll try it. BTW I despise LED bulbs.

dxg

Premium Member
Interesting. How does dust in the condenser cause the water line to become brittle?

paulhl

Premium Member
Heat, heat and more heat. The ice maker line runs right between the two compressors and the line to the tank runs next to the ref. compressor. I've replaced many.

dxg

Premium Member
Ah, yes. Makes sense. I've never had to replace mine, but I vacuum the condenser often. Another poor design feature, eh? Could be routed better or some insulating sleeves, etc.