Suddenly no heat, 8 1/2 yo Kenmore Elite electric

seamom

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
My Kenmore Elite electric dryer has worked fine for 8 1/2 years. Drying time may have increased slightly recently, but over the weekend the heat suddenly quit. The drum turns, there is air output, but no heat. A friend came to help me clean the duct from the dryer all the way to the outside wall (about 15 feet) - it is quite possible that the duct had not been cleaned since the house was built 17 years ago. There were parts of the duct that were completely full of lint - luckily we never had a fire!

My question is, can someone with absolutely no repair experience possibly find the problem and fix it? My friend and his buddy tried and believe that either the element or the timer have gone bad. My dad (who has never had an electric dryer) believes it is the element and I should also replace a belt. Someone else told me they think it's some kind of internal fuse. I don't know what I'm capable of doing, but would love to avoid buying a new dryer (especially since my fridge is starting to go and I already have issues with my wall oven and microwave!). None of these sources are experienced with appliance repairs and their opinions range from: "throw it out and get a new one" to "you can fix it with a $6 part"...

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

On your model, you work on everything from the front.

If your dryer is getting 220/240 volts and just runs and no heat, then its either your thermal cut-off or element thats bad.

If the thermal fuse was bad, the dryer wouldn't turn on at all, so we know the thermal fuse is good.:)

Unplug your dryer first.

Watch this video to ohm test the thermal cut-off, it will ohm the same as your thermal fuse:

<iframe id="yui-gen75" class="restrain" title="YouTube video player" height="390" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/3nicyh6EUHc" frameBorder="0" width="640"></iframe>

Or, You can jump it with an alligator clip or take the wires off the thermal cut-off and use electrical tape to tape them together to see if it starts heating. DON'T LEAVE IT JUMPED TO RUN A CYCLE, order a new one.

Its #47 on the side of the heating element housing:
http://c.searspartsdirect.com/lis_pn...6713-00003.png

Here's the thermal cut-off assembly for your model in case you need to order it:
Manufacturer's Number: 279769 is RepairClinic Item #2821

This video shows how to access it both parts:

<iframe height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2bVoelV7M7Y?rel=0" frameBorder="0" width="640" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Here's the heating element for your model you can order here:
Manufacturer part#3387747 is RepairClinic item#525502

Watch this video to test it:

<iframe height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wq-3zsiBID8?rel=0" frameBorder="0" width="640" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Its your element then if you see a visible break in it.:)

Go ahead and order it from the link I posted above and you'll be good to go.:)

Jake