• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Sulfur smell in water

rob49

Premium Member
Model Number
RS261MDWP
Brand
Whirlpool
I have a water and ice dispenser on the fridge door. The water supply is from a flex hose connected under the sink that travels 15 feet behind the cabinets. Twice now I have had the water start to smell of sulfur. The first time when I disconnected the hose, there was green particulate ?algae or mold, so I replaced the line and filter. Now 6 months later the smell is back. Our water is city water so has chlorine in it, and we use the water dispenser often so stagnation is not an issue. I talked to a few plumbers and they do not have a clue. The ice took longer, but it soon began to have the same smell. I do not believe I should have this problem twice and less than 6 months after installing the line.

Please help?

rob49

Premium Member
I used braided stainless steal with I guess some type of plastic inner line? the one you buy at Lowes. the line from the main water line under sink to the fridge

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member

rob49

Premium Member
Can I run copper 20 feet and around tight and very difficult to access areas? How does the plastic tubing connect to under sink main water supply?

rickgburton

Staff member
Can I run copper 20 feet and around tight and very difficult to access areas?
Sure, as long as you don't kink the copper line. All water lines connect with a compression fitting. The only difference is your braided steel line has them permanently attached to the line with a built in ferrule. Copper and plastic lines need the nut and ferrule installed on the line. When you get your new water line, either copper or plastic, pick up a 1/4" brass compression coupler. That will give you the two compression nuts and ferrules you'll need for the new water line connections. Take them off the coupler and set them aside. Attach your new line to the old line using the coupler and pull the new line through.

How does the plastic tubing connect to under sink main water supply?
1/4" brass compression nut and ferrule. Use an insert for the line.
Tube Insert 4387491 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com
Tube-Insert-4387491--00613102.jpg

This kit comes with all the necessary hardware to connect a copper line. The compression coupler is in the center of the picture:
Ice Maker Installation Kit S5305510264 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com
Ice-Maker-Installation-Kit-S5305510264--00592673.jpg

rob49

Premium Member
The plastic tubing would be easier. Which would pose more of risk for the water to taste bad again? And confused about how to connect each to water source under sink???
the braided line is simple and threads on. Do you have to punch a hole in the pipe under the sink for these other methods, and is this recommended with the galvanized pipes I have?

Appreciate your help. Extremely frustrated with this and no one seems to have any ideas.

Rob

rickgburton

Staff member
Which would pose more of risk for the water to taste bad again?
Plastic would because it more porous than metal. It has the ability to absorb chemicals over time. That being said, If your water tastes good straight from the tap, you shouldn't have any problems.

And confused about how to connect each to water source under sink? the braided line is simple and threads on.
Read the second line in my last post. Unscrew your water line from the valve under the sink. Slide the compression nut on your new water line. Slide the ferrule on your new water line. (If you use plastic, insert the tube insert into the water line). Insert the water line and ferrule into the valve and tighten the compression nut. As you tighten the nut the ferrule is compressed around the water line to make it water tight. If by some chance your original water line a different size or connection, you'll need an adapter. Example: If your connection is 3/8" pipe thread, ask for an adapter that goes from 3/8" pipe to 1/4" Compression. I can understand your frustration with the bad tasting water. I've replaced this type water line connected to a refrigerator for the same issue you're having. However, I want you to understand this is only my best guess to why your water is tasting bad. There could be other issues I'm not aware of.