• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake
  • Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

superdaddyo

tim cole

Premium Member
I've got a maytag microwave model no. aco1520ac and every thing works fine except for the start button. I can even warm my food up using the pre heat mode but I cannot start the unit using the start button. Will I need a complete touch pad or can I order just one micro switch?:confused:. Thanks for a great resource. you've saved me many moneys and made me look like I knew what I was doing !

TechnicianBrian

Appliance Tech
The buttons are part of a switch matrix and most likely, one of the leads to the start button has failed. You can try to remove the ribbon cable that runs from the membrane to the control board and clean the contacts with a pencil eraser. If that does not help, then a switch membrane
will be needed to resolve the problem. The old one will peal off the panel as it is just glued in place. Clean as much of the old adhesive off before applying the new membrane.