• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake

Tappan TMV151FS Microwave keys won't work...multiple error codes

insanart

Premium Member
Model Number
TMV151FS
Brand
Tappan
Hello! Been a while since I've stopped by, that's a good thing!

This time it's my microwave. Tappan model TMV151FS. Took me a few days to notice this since we keep the sound off, but suddenly my keypad froze and there was an error code of "L" being shown. Figured out that I can unplug it and "reset" it for a while and use it, but it eventually goes back to the "L" and I can't input anything (it also beeps a double beep continuously, one long beep and one short beep). Occasionally it will show an "SE" code before the "L" code.

We've been keeping the micro unplugged and using it here and there in this state, but it seems to be getting worse....even stopping and freezing mid-use. I've done lots of Googling and come up with several conflicting answers - easiest and most common fixes being either the keypad is bad or the charcoal filter needs to be replaced (this is an under the counter unit that vents indoors, so that does make sense at this age). Another less common and more complicated fix I see is a bad filter capacitor or a bad magnatron.

Most of the sources I use for parts show the charcoal filter being unavailable or on backorder, and the key pad is the same, or if not, very expensive. So, I figured I better get your advice before buying a part!

Please let me know if I can give you more information. This site is my go-to for appliances. You've helped me fix a refrigerator, washer and dryer (including a gas burner - I'm not afraid of getting dirty with this stuff!!! Just need some advice!)

Thank you for your time!!

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member

insanart

Premium Member
Thank you, Jeff. What's your experience with the charcoal filters for the indoor ventilation? I've owned this house for a little over 5 years and to the best of my knowledge the microwave *could have* been here for two years before that, being used by the folks that remodeled the place while they were working on it (I think they did the kitchen first). I'm going to buy the keypad stuff, but do you think I should replace the filter as well?

Thanks again!

ugh.....EDIT - I see the link you've provided says it's out of stock....I'll shop around, but, damn that's pricey! (for the control board) :(

(Sorry, gonna EDIT again - just watched a guy on Youtube unplug the control panel and stuff, basically cleaning everything....hilarious...he keeps saying "you can't f it up!" haha, my kind of guy. I will try this before I buy anything)

Thank you again for your reply. :)

Last edited:

jeff1

Staff member
Charcoal filters are suppose to be changed every 6-12 months.....grease filter can be cleaned, either in the sink or d/w but the charcoal filter cannot.

he keeps saying "you can't f it up!" haha, my kind of guy
Be careful! There are things inside the microwave that can shock/kill you even with the microwave unplugged.

Charcoal-Filter-5304455657--00742943.jpg Charcoal filter

jeff.

insanart

Premium Member
Thank you for the reply, Jeff.

I am certainly aware of the dangers of servicing a microwave. The video I'm talking about basically says to pull off the keypad and disconnect all of the wires and then reconnect them....this is exactly the same thing I would have to do to replace the keypad anyways. Is there something I should be aware of for safety during this procedure, aside from obviously unplugging the unit?

And I think I should probably pick up a filter, too, huh..... :)

Thanks!

jeff1

Staff member
Is there something I should be aware of for safety during this procedure, aside from obviously unplugging the unit?
As long as nothing further inside is touched, you should be golden.

And I think I should probably pick up a filter, too, huh.....
Might as well.

jeff.