• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

TCI18A3W Amana Refrigerator condenser fan motor

cjccmc

Premium Member
Model Number
TCI18A3W
Brand
Amana
This top freezer fridge is about 30 years old and has the older type of freon T12. We have been keeping it in the garage for past 15 years. A few weeks ago the freezer got too warm to keep ice from melting but the fridge stays about 45 F. Yesterday we cleaned the condenser coils which were only moderately dirty and the freezer now gets cold enough to make ice.
I notice that the condenser fan does not always run when the compressor is working. Is this normal? The fan does come on at some times but not sure it is running frequently enough to prevent overheating.

cjccmc

Premium Member
Just went to look at it again. The compressor is very hot. When I gave the fan a spin by hand it took off and kept running, so it seems it's getting power but cant initialize the motion. I did spin the fan by hand yesterday when the power was off and it spins easily with no noticeable binding. Is there a fix for this that's worth doing on an old fridge?

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

Normally the condensor fan motor should be running when ever the compressor is running.

LINK> Condenser Fan Motor Kit

jeff.

cjccmc

Premium Member
Since the motor works fine after I give it a little push by hand could the problem be something else? Maybe a capacitor or something else needed to give it a little kick to start the motion?
I only know enough about electricity to be dangerous so just guessing on my part here.

Here is a partial view of a schematic on the back of the fridge:

Attachments

• IMG_1133.JPEG
    IMG_1133.JPEG
    414.3 KB · Views: 27

cjccmc

Premium Member
Problem solved with an application of oil to the motor shaft.

I found a video that discussed these old but solidly built motors and how the oiling felt dries out over the years. Since the shaft turned easily I was surprised that lubrication solved the problem but it did.

fm.JPG

Last edited:

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
I personally have had little success lubing the fan motor...but I hope yours is the exception.

Thankx for the update.

jeff.