• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

TCL TAW12CR19 Windows a/c control panel works intermittently and very strange remote control response

notronjeremy

Premium Member
Model Number
TAW12CR19
Brand
-major brand-
Unit is one year old. Does anyone have a proper repair manual for this AC unit: TAW12CR19 or can offer any insight on the bizarre behavior described under "problem 2?"

Problem 1: Sometimes the control buttons on the unit itself stop working (all buttons), but the remote control that came with the unit still works fine to control it. The problem is intermittent and seems to last for a while (unplugging and plugging back in does not resolve, but coming back the next day the buttons on the unit are usually working again).

Problem 2: This has only happened once (at 4AM this morning). Problem 1 occurred, just as described above so I was using the remote control to adjust the temperature setting instead. The AC accepted the button pushes from the remote control, but it was as if the button was stuck/held down. When I increased the temperature, rather than going up a single degree, it kept climbing as if I was issuing the command over and over until it maxed out at 88 degrees as a set point. I then pushed the button to decrease the temperature and that was similarly "stuck" until it stopped at the lower limit of 62 degrees. If I pushed other buttons on the remote (e.g. fan speed, eco, etc.) the remote exhibited the "stuck" behavior by continually beeping (normally each time you push the button it makes a beeping sound to confirm that it got the command). After testing every button on the unit's remote control I couldn't find a single button that when "stuck" down wouldn't make the unit continually beep or mess up my temperature setting. Even the power button was similarly stuck. Most surprising of all, if I unplugged the unit and plugged it back in, whatever button I had last pushed on the remote was still "stuck," which foiled my plan of hoping I could unplug it at the temperature I wanted and then after plugging back in, it would stay there.

After about 15 minutes of fighting with problem 2, and unplugging and plugging back in a total of 3 times the remote control went back to controlling the unit normally without exhibiting the "stuck" behavior. To be clear I don't think the problem is in the remote control, but rather in the AC unit itself.

One more note: When I powered off and back on the unit this morning there was a pattern of dots the flashed on the control screen followed by 19, 19, and 04 flashing on the unit's LED display (perhaps an error code?).

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Sounds like a bad control board. Unfortunately I have no service info on that brand or model and don't know where you can get parts.

jackemiller

Premium Member
I have the same unit that I just bought. I'm having a problem with the compressor coming on and off. It'll run at 70 then i'll set the temperature to say 65 but nothing happens, the compressor doesnt kick in. So I unplug the unit for about 5 minutes then plug it with it still set at 65. Everything starts back up except the compressor, it takes a few minutes to kick in. When it kicks in it'll blow cold for a while then the compressor turns off, guess when it gets to the set temperature. But now the compressor wont kick back in after that 1 initial turn on. The fan will run but it'll wind up being hot as crap in the room but the compressor wont turn back on unless I unplug and plug the unit back in. Any suggestions?

rickgburton

Staff member
Unfortunately I have no service info on that brand or model and don't know where you can get parts.
Sounds like the control board. But not sure.

jackemiller

Premium Member
Yeah I'm not sure either. I took the case off the unit, didnt find anything visually wrong or broken but did notice that the compressor is burning hot to the touch. Maybe the compressor is cutting itself off to protect itself? I dont believe it would be because of low freon seeing how it's a sealed unit and when the compressor does kick in it blows out cold air but I'm not sure. What reasons would it have to cut itself off besides low freon?

rickgburton

Staff member
The overload will open if it gets too hot or if the compressor draws too many amps. Measure the compressor windings:
R -Compressor Windings.jpg