• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

TEDS740PQ1 Estate Dryer(electric) Not Heating

G41775

Premium Member
Model Number
TEDS740PQ1
Brand
Estate
I have been trying to figure out the issue with this dryer and cannot find the fix.
First, it would not heat and timer would only advance in timed cycle but, it would not cut off at end. I found the element had a break in coil so I replaced it. I also replaced the timer and cycling thermostat. Now it will heat but, timer will still only advance in timed cycle and will still not cut off. When I replaced the parts I made sure to replace wire for wire on new part to make sure it was right. What is the next step to figure out problem.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Your dryer uses a very simple system to achieve an 'auto' setting. When the timer is set to auto, power to the timer motor goes through the heater coil. When heating 240 volts goes through the heater coil to power it. When the heater cycles off, that power is redirected to the timer motor instead to power it.

Things that could prevent the timer from advancing on an 'auto' setting (but advancing otherwise):

1. The dryer not heating. If the heater element is open or not glowing red when on, power may not reach the timer motor to advance it.

2. The timer contacts between TM and OR not closing when set to auto. If you replaced the timer with a new part, this is fairly unlikely.

Is the heater cycling on and off when running? (The dryer usually needs to be fully assembled to get proper operation.)

G41775 said:
and will still not cut off.

Are you saying the timer advances past the off position and continues to advance through the next cycle??

Dan O.

G41775

Premium Member
The heater is cycling on and off. "Will not cut off" means that the timer stops advancing at off position but dryer does not cut off.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
G41775 said:
"Will not cut off" means that the timer stops advancing at off position but dryer does not cut off.

Will the dryer start running even before pushing the start button?

Also, have you checked the timer advancing on auto since you replaced the element?

Dan O.