• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Temperature is higher on Whirlpool Refrigerator WRX988SIBM01

Status
Not open for further replies.

viva

Premium Member
Model Number
WRX988SIBM01
Brand
Whirlpool
Hello!
I have WRX988SIBM01. I got it in 2015. It is not cooling enough. I have 45F in main section and around 20F in the freezer.
So far I have cleaned the coil (there were a lot of pets fur). The compressor is running but too hot. The compressor's fan is blowing air and running.

There is a blue fan that is working in the freezer, Is it an evaporator fan? I have called a local company Whirlpool recommended but they will be here in 2 weeks. I would like to get refrigerator to work sooner.
Any idea on how to fix it? What else should I check? Do I have one evaporator coil or there is another one behind plastic in main section? Any documentation on parts and how to disassemble it? Cannot find anywhere...

Thank you!

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Leave the machine plugged in and running. Take the freezer evaporator cover off and check the frost pattern on the coils. Take a picture and post it here!

Yes, your model has a refrigerator evaporator and a freezer evaporator, you need to remove the freezer evaporator cover then take a photo of it and upload it here.

Watch this video below, it gives you the general idea of how to remove the freezer evaporator cover:

Jake

viva

Premium Member
So, it is sort of working now. I have cleaned everything and vacuumed the coil under refrigerator. It is a pain to get there. I have ordered an extension for the vacuum to do it.
It is 30F-37F in my main section (set to 35F) with 2 thermometers on top and bottom shelfs. The concern is now in the freezer. I do see 1F and sometimes 10F. Why is it changing? Is it normal to fluctuate 10 degrees F? The freezer is empty now. Not even shelfs installed. I have a thermometer that is inside but reading is outside so I can monitor without opening the door.
Thank you!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, anything between 0-10 degrees F is fine.

It can fluctuate because it goes through a defrost cycle about every 8-12 hours.

Jake

viva

Premium Member
OK. I will blame the issue on the pet fur under the refrigerator. Unbelievable. Will get a hamster and a fish next time.
Thank you!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Status
Not open for further replies.