Temperature problem

tolive63

Premium Member
Model Number
ACS3350AS
Brand
Amana
I have an Amana gas range that was purchased new in 7/04. I'm currently having problems with consistent temperature and warming up. I've replaced the thermocouple and there is no change. Sometimes the oven will not come up to temperature and I have to shut it off and restart it. Once it comes up to temperature, the temperature goes all over the place and I have to constantly monitor it. Not sure if it worth putting any more money into it.

tolive63

Premium Member
Thank you Rick. I thought it was the main control board since the temperature was fluctuating all over the place, didn't think it was the igniter.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
The igniter needs to draw 3.2 to 3.6 amps to open the oven safety valve. If you have an amp meter you'll probably find it's right at or just below the 3.2. You replaced the "thermocouple" I'm assuming you meant oven sensor.

tolive63

Premium Member
Yes, I meant the oven sensor. I was going to pull out the igniter in the morning and test it. I was under the impression from my research that if the igniter is bad the oven won't heat up.

rickgburton

Staff member
How are you planning to test it? Do you have a amprobe or meter with 10/20 amp setting?
C-Oven Igniter Test DMM.jpg

tolive63

Premium Member
MY Chief is an electrician and he just tested the igniter with a continuity meter that gave tone and it tested fine. What's next?

rickgburton

Staff member
Ask him abouts amps because you're not following me. It will test good for continuity. It will turn on and it will glow red. How many amps is it drawing??

rickgburton

Staff member
What I've seen happen before is when the igniter gets weak it takes a long time to generate enough amps to open the gas valve. The gas valve doesn't have any power connected to it. It's inline with one side of the igniter. Inside the valve is a metal strip with wire wrapped around it blocking the gas flow. When the igniter turns on the current flows through the wire causing the metal strip to "warp". The more amps the more it warps and allows the gas to flow. Eventually it doesn't and the oven stops working. I've had many people tell me it can't be the igniter because it turns on and glows red. You can probably search the Range forum and find others with the same problem.