Testing ice maker water supply at the solenoid

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanL1299

Premium Member
Hello ive been lurking this forum and my ice maker in my kenmore stopped working the model# is 106.57029600. I did all the troubleshooting with the water valve in the back of the fridge

and i also did the jumper wire with the T & H and nothing happened im guessing its the motor .oh by the way im not getting any water in the tray thats why im writing this. I also did the 110

v short wire check on the water valve in the back, water did flow, any help would be apprecieated, sorry about my typing not used to computers...lol

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member

DanL1299

Premium Member
Hi again yes i did test the optics, the LED does blink twice with a 1 sec delay, and when the emitter door is push in the LED is on steady

rickgburton

Staff member

Murexway

Premium Member
Intermittent Problem

Kemnore Coldspot Mod. 106.57902700. About 2 months ago it quit making ice - no water in the tray. Water dispenser on outside of door was fine. Did nothing, left it alone for a couple of days - used the refer as normal. Suddenly it started making ice again. I love self-healing problems.

Today it's back - no water in tray. Refer hasn't been moved, water filter changed +/- 3 months ago, optics check good, rake at normal position (about 45 degrees toward me as I look at it).

Before I get too deep into testing everything else, it would seem that a module wouldn't start working again (?), so valve or frozen line most likely?

Thanks

rickgburton

Staff member
..so valve or frozen line most likely?
No, most likely a bad thermostat or bad motor in the ice-maker.
FORCE CYCLE
To force cycle the ice-maker, remove the cover over the module and locate holes “T” and “H”. Take a small piece of wire bent in the shape of a U and short “T” and “H” together. The ice-maker will start the harvest cycle. Wait about 10 seconds and remove wire. The Ice maker will continue through the cycle. At the end of the harvest cycle the ice-maker supplies the coil on the water valve with 110 VAC.
NOTE: If your refrigerator uses the Optics, you’ll also have to tape the emitter flap back and not block the space between the emitter and receiver. You will also need to hold the light switch in until the ice maker starts then remove the wire. Close the freezer door.

Murexway

Premium Member
Thanks Rick............this is frustrating - it "fixed" itself again!

The ice container was only half-full and there was no water in the mold last evening before I went to bed. This morning I checked it again - same situation. That's when I went on the forum; found the post with the manual link and downloaded it. I ran the optics test and even blew my breath into the emitter and receiver holes.

Since then I've read this entire thread, read the entire manual and posted my earlier message. I was about to begin the solenoid valve check and force cycle the ice maker with a jumper as you advised. When I put my hand on the ice maker, I felt water in the tray that had already begun to freeze. The sucker must have sneaked some water in witout me hearing it.

Frost on the optics, perhaps???

rickgburton

Staff member
It's more likely burned or worn contact points in the power module. It could also be a weak thermostat. The thermostat has to close before it will start a harvest cycle. When the harvest cycle starts the mold heater turns on. If the contacts for the fill cycle are worn or burned and doesn't make good contact it won't fill and the heat from the mold heater raises the temperature of the thermostat enough that it stops at the home position and has to close again before another harvest cycle will start. I've seen that happen many times. The only way to check it is to force cycle it. I take the wire connector off the water valve solenoid and insert my meter probes with my meter set on VAC and watch for the fill cycle. I either get nothing or sometimes 50 to 90 VAC way below the necessary 110 VAC. If by some chance I get the correct voltage I force cycle it again and even a 3rd time. If I get the correct voltage three times in a row the problem is elsewhere. If you tested the optics it's most likely good. If you can't get the ice maker to force cycle then start looking at the optics.

Ice Maker Assembly 2198597 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com
Ice-Maker-Assembly-2198597-00878089.jpg

Murexway

Premium Member
Somehow I knew it wasn't so simple as frost :eek:

It's still happy as a clam right now. When it takes it's next vacation, I'll do the force cycle checks, watch the voltage and go from there. Thanks again - I'll let you know...

WayneT

Premium Member
I'm having similar problems to those described. I have a Kenmore side-by-side with in-door ice maker and water dispenser. Model #106.55602400. The water supply to the icemaker will not shut off and leaked down the door onto the floor. I suspected a faulty water valve and replaced with P/N W10408179. The water at the ice maker still does not shut off and I noticed that the solenoid is overheating. I suspect that the power to the solenoid is staying on keeping the valve open. Is this controlled by the ice maker module?

rickgburton

Staff member

brents

Premium Member
Okay I have a Kenmore Model Number 106.56532400 that is not making ice. Optics test fine. The black fill hose is not frozen. Water side works fine. I can switch the ice and water wires and get water to the icemaker. The only odd thing is when testing water/ice valves with ohm meter I am only reading between 300-400 not 1000-1500 as the video describes. When I test the ice maker by jumping T and H I can force a harvest, the tray fills and the rakes stop in the 2:00 position. The resulting LED results in the 5 second steady result indicating ice maker is fine. I have done this cycle on consecutive days and gotten the same result. Only problem is in-between those test cycles no ice. The water from the manual cycle will form ice and dump into the bucket but the tray does not refill. It just sits there empty with the rakes in the 2:00 position.

So it is as if everything is testing fine individually but still no ice. I really do not want to replace all three components. Any other ideas or things to test?

Thanks,
Brent

rickgburton

Staff member
Status
Not open for further replies.