• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

TFX28PBBBAA GE Refrigerator Thermistors

MichaelH

Premium Member
Model Number
TFX28PBBBAA
Brand
GE
Hi,
I have an older TFX28PBBBAA. Pretty high-end fridge in it's day, which means it's a PIA to work on!
I've read that it has three thermistors. I think at least one of them is bad because of symptoms:
Every once in awhile it would shut off. That got more frequent. Then came the day it just wouldn't start again.
I think for most refrigerators you access the thermistors from inside. This one, it sure isn't obvious!
Can anyone tell me where the thermistors are and how to get to them?

Added complete model number

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
MichaelH said:
I have an older TFX28PB.
That model number is incomplete. What's the rest of it? TFX28PB_ _ _ _ _ _

We need the complete model number as only printed on the appliance's model and serial number tag on the appliance. You can find tips for locating the model and serial number identification tag on your appliances at the following link:

LINK > Model Number Tag Location Guide

MichaelH said:
I've read that it has three thermistors.
I looked up one possible model variation and it is a conventionally controlled appliance, not an electronically controlled model. It is only electronically controlled appliances that have thermistors so yours probably doesn't have any.

MichaelH said:
Every once in awhile it would shut off. Then came the day it just wouldn't start again.
What exactly shuts off, the compressor, the fan(s), both together??

How did you get it running again each time?

The more accurate symptoms you supply, the better the chance of us suggesting possible causes. You can read about common cooling problems on conventional refrigerators at the following link.

LINK > My frost free refrigerator is not cooling properly. What might be the problem?

Dan O.

MichaelH

Premium Member
TFX28PBBBAA
It just quits running and I get an "FF" error code (warm temp).
It came on gradually... quit once and then was reliable for a long time.
Over time, the outages became more frequent until it just stayed off.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
MichaelH said:
It just quits running
What quits running, the compressor, the fans, both??

MichaelH said:
TFX28PBBBAA
That model does have an electronic display but it is strictly for appearance. The actual controls are all manual/mechanical. That model must have been a transitional design leading up to thier true electronic refrigerator models.

Dan O.

MichaelH

Premium Member
Both the compressor and fans quit running... it just sits there flashing "FF" and the warm temp light on. Inside lights work.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
If nothing is running, it could be the thermostat or defrost timer preventing it.

Test 1. When it's not running but should be running, try tapping (not turning) the thermostat control knob in the fridge compartment.

If it starts right up after that, the thermostat may have 'sticking' contacts and need to be replaced.

If it doesn't start running after tapping the thermostat knob, let us know and we'll move on to the next possibility.

bigbuck said:
Here is the tech sheet
Thx

Dan O.

Last edited:

MichaelH

Premium Member
Holy Cow!!! It came on. I don't have a knob, I have sliders for both freezer and fridge, and I had to remove a plastic cover. I banged on the freezer control thermostat with the handle of a screwdriver and sure enough...

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
MichaelH said:
I don't have a knob, I have sliders for both freezer and fridge
Yes, your fridge design is a bit convoluted.

Now's the hard part. A new thermostat (# WR09X0521) is no longer available. I don't know where you'll find one.

Occasionally a used one or old stock becomes available. If you use the following link and click "Save this Search" link, you'll be emailed when new listings are added. (1 was available back in January, another this February)

LINK > WR9X521/WR09X0521/WG04F00201/5304406569 Thermostat (any of those numbers will work)

Good luck!

Dan O.

Last edited:

MichaelH

Premium Member
Given the shortage of replacement parts, I decided to see what makes this thermostat tick. Good news; it is not sealed. And to my surprise, it isn't electronic at all! - it's probably a bi-metal coil. And there's a plastic probe that fits into a receptor leading in to the freezer. I have things taken apart probably near my limit to put them back together, but I'm learning.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
MichaelH said:
Given the shortage of replacement parts, I decided to see what makes this thermostat tick.
I wouldn't have suggested that.

Did the fridge stop running after you got it going with the tapping? It might have operated for a while after the tapping. It might have given you time to find a replacement part.

MichaelH said:
And to my surprise, it isn't electronic at all! - it's probably a bi-metal coil. A

I indicated that in a previous reply, "That model does have an electronic display but it is strictly for appearance. The actual controls are all manual/mechanical.".

MichaelH said:
Could this be the problem? - Damper, part# 162D6620-P004.
No. It doesn't control running of the appliance. The thermostat does.

Dan O.

Last edited: