• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

TFX30PR GE Refrigerator Cooling intermittently

BillGulledge

Premium Member
Model Number
TFX30PR
Brand
GE
20+ year old GE side by side - best refrigerator I have ever owned. A month ago I noticed it had stopped making ice. Checked temperature with a temp gun and found freezer compartment at 30 degrees, fresh food side at 45 degrees. Further investigation found compressor cooling fan not turning, and the surface temp of the compressor at 180 degrees. Spun the cooling fan by hand and it started turning freely.

Within 8 hours, the freezer was at 5 degrees and the fresh food side at 36 degrees. Several days later the problem occurred again. Whenever I see high temps inside, I see the fan not turning. I set an auxiliary fan to blow in the direction of the compressor cooling fan and all returned to normal. For the past two days the auxiliary fan has been running, operation has been normal, making ice, cold, etc. and the compressor cooling fan is turning (two fans blowing air, the compressor cooling fan and the auxiliary fan.)

So, is the compressor cooling fan bad? - how to check the fan? - what voltage runs the fan? What tells the cooling fan to turn on - thermostat? - where located? - how to check? Other things to check?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Bill,

Your condenser fan motor bearing is shot, that's why it keeps stalling when it should be running, the only solution is to replace it.

Here's the condenser fan motor for your model you can order:
Condenser Fan Motor WR60X225

There is a video included in the part link to replace it.

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
There is no capacitor that starts this condenser fan motor.

The temperature control thermostat sends 120 volts to it as it does to the compressor to come on as well.

This is a very basic refrigerator, no control boards to deal with, very simple model that I wish they would start making again.:)

So if the condenser fan motor is getting 120 volts to it and its not running, that means the condenser fan motor is bad.

Jake