TGDS840PQ1 Estate Dryer glows, ignites, heats, then cools

Titus0327

Model Number
TGDS840PQ1
Brand
Estate
I have a gas Estate dryer made by Whirlpool.

Upon starting it fires up as it should.... it glows, the flame ignites, then it heats and runs for 5-10 minutes.

Then the flame goes out.... after it cools a bit, it begins to glow again but only for a few seconds. The second glow is a much shorter duration than the original glow when first started, maybe only 3-5 seconds or so. Because of this, it wont ignite again.

I’ve checked all the fuses, they’re all operational.

I thought about replacing the solenoids, but that doesn’t seem to be the problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Added model number

Last edited by a moderator:

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member

Titus0327

I checked the solenoids with an ohmeter, and they read fine. Could they still be the issue?

I just can’t imagine them being the problem if it’s not even glowing long enough to open them.

jeff1

Staff member
I checked the solenoids with an ohmeter, and they read fine
Did you write down or remember your readings?
You will want to test them when the problem is occurring to see if any are open or have quit.
Yes they can work once or twice and then fail.

*If* needed:

Valve solenoid kit

jeff.

Attachments

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Titus0327 said:
checked the solenoids with an ohmeter, and they read fine. Could they still be the issue?
Yes. Dryer gas valve solenoid coils are famous for working once or twice then crapping out once they get warm from use. As Jeff said, testing them as soon as the problem arises is the only way to rule them out positively. Once they have a chance to cool, their readings could change and not reveal them self as a problem.

Dan O.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Titus0327 said:
That makes sense, but how can I do that? The front of the dryer needs to be on in order to run. Unless Im missing something.
Sorry but if your dyer was designed without a front access panel that option is not available to you. :(

LINK > Generic Gas Dryer Heating Problem Diagnostics

I don't usually recommend replacing parts on a guess but in that case taking a chance and just replacing the solenoids coils would be suggested. Luckily the replacement coils are cheap.

Dan O.

jeff1

Staff member
That makes sense, but how can I do that?
Run dryer until the problem occurs...once that happens remove the front and check.
You cannot run the dryer with any panals off/removed as this also will taint your results.

jeff.