• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED TH21TW Amana Refrigerator - Making a "fiber board" cover for back of refrigerator

littleknowledge

Premium Member
Model Number
TH21TW
Brand
Amana
I have no clue why the flimsy fiber board cover for back of the fridge is missing. I'm the only one that ever took it off - to clean inside & I wouldn't just throw it away.
Regardless, I'm thinking that making one would be much cheaper - even if I could find the right one for that old a unit (dunno).

I assume they've got some fire retardant treatment. Brushing a borax solution on anything makes it fire resistant. It's what they treat cellulose insulation with - or used to.
Can you buy small pieces of that stuff? Or are there cheap alternatives? I'd say the opening (minus the condenser fan grill) is about 12" x 24" or so.

Thanks.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Use plain cardboard and only cover the compressor half of the machine compartment

littleknowledge

Premium Member
Thanks. I didn't think anyone would stock them.
I was on a new project today - troubleshooting a bump, bump in a Maytag dryer (much newer).
Guess what I saw out of the corner of my eye, between the washer / dryer? The long lost back cover for the fridge.

Don't know if it fell down there or if someone put it "where we'll be sure to remember."
But thanks for the ideas & the link.