The dishwasher is NOT a food waste disposal

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Model Number
ALL
Brand
-major brand-
The dishwasher is NOT a food waste disposal!
Do not listen to the sales person when they tell you the dishwasher has a food chopper/macerator blade that will chew up all the food dumped into your d/w!!!!
Most ( not all ) dishwashers do have a soft food blade that will try to chew up something like a piece of carrot or such and then flush the small pieces down the drain. The dishwasher will not work for very long if you keep dumping food inside! Scrap off the plates or even rinse them before loading the d/w.
Next is water temp. 100-110ºF water will not dissolve dishwasher detergent. Minimum water temp is 120ºF and the closer to 140ºF the better.

See pics.

jeff.

Attachments

rickgburton

Staff member
I agree with you Jeff. If you don't want to clean off the dishes before you stick them in the machine, find someone that will do it for you! I did!
dishwasher.jpgDoggy-Dishwasher.jpg

jeff1

Staff member

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I've never seen either one of those photos with the dogs in them licking the plates, hilarious!!!

Jake

PatrickGSR94

Premium Member
I understand now that putting food in the dishwasher is not a good thing to do. But I thought I read somewhere before that dishwashers clean BETTER if there are food particles in there (newer, modern ones anyway), and that it's simply wasting water to clean everything off the dishes before putting them in. What's really acceptable and what's not? It does indeed seem wasteful and redundant to get dishes almost sparkling with running water and a scrubber prior to putting them in the dishwasher.

rickgburton

Staff member
It's really quite simple. Scrape your dishes before putting them in the dishwasher. As far as dishwashers cleaning better if there's food particles in the water, the OWI sensor increases the wash time on some models depending on the clarity of the water.