• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

    ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

    Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

    From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

    Jake

The story of our 27 year old Microwave (Is it safe?)

Fugie

Premium Member
Joined
Feb 6, 2011
Messages
16
Location
San Francisco, CA
Model Number
R-9H81
Brand
Sharp
Age
More than 10 years
Hi all!

All these years we thought we had a built-in 1989 Sharp Carousal II convection microwave, but when I took off the trim kit today, it turned out to be a counter-top model (or at least it looks like a counter-top model with the trim removed). In fact to make this story even more interesting, when we moved in 16 years ago, the door on the Sharp microwave would not open, we assumed the latch mechanism had broken, so we have been using the microwave we brought from our old house all these years and haven't used the one that came with the house. As it turns out the trim kit was preventing the door to open and now the door works perfectly fine on the Sharp.

So here's my question: I was taking the trim off to measure the space, so we could purchase a new microwave, but now I find out the latch mechanism on the Sharp Carousal II works perfectly fine. This microwave I assume was used the first 11 years of its life and for the past 16 years (after we moved in), it hasn't been used. This may sound like a dumb question, but is it safe to use (a 27-year-old microwave that hasn't been used the past 16 years)?

We were planning to buy a new one, should we just buy new a built-in or keep the 27-year-old microwave?

Thanks for you advice!
 

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Oct 10, 2004
Messages
23,927
Location
Ontario, Canada
Hi,

but is it safe to use (a 27-year-old microwave that hasn't been used the past 16 years)?
Sure, yes it is.

We were planning to buy a new one, should we just buy new a built-in or keep the 27-year-old microwave?
A newer one will probably be a higher cooking output, will match any recipes or cooking instructions closer than the older one will.....JMO!

jeff.
 

Fugie

Premium Member
Joined
Feb 6, 2011
Messages
16
Location
San Francisco, CA
Thanks for the reply, Jeff!

We'll give the old one a whirl and see what happens. I understand what you are saying about the power of the old model, but if it works, it'll save us some money. I was just worried about the age of the microwave and its safety.

Thanks again for your advice. Also, apologies, it looks like I posted the original message to the wrong manufacturer forum!!
 

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Joined
Aug 24, 2004
Messages
102,103
Location
McMullen Valley, Arizona
I moved it to the Sharp Microwave Forum.:)

Jake
 
Top