• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Thermador 48 inch range oven problems. PRD48JDSGU /10 - FD 960600124

Shreve66

Premium Member
Model Number
PRD48JDSGU /10
Brand
Thermador
I’ve noticed recently that my oven hasn’t been cooking things normally. I tried cooking cornbread, and it took an hour or so.

I bought 2 thermometers, digital and one that hangs from the shelf. I set the temp to 350 and after 25 to 30 minutes, the buzzer went off letting me know the oven was at temp. It wasn’t. The temp was around 300. It’s been about an hour now and the temp is reading 325. This is when the setting is at 350.

While writing this, I set my knob to 375, just to check if the setting is maybe 25 degrees off. It took a while but it reached 350. Looks like my gauge and my electronic readout on the range are 25 degrees off.

Same thing at 400 setting. Temp reaches 375. It looks like it’s 25 degrees off.

Any idea what it can be. I called thermador and was told the large thermometer on the control panel is not actually a thermometer. That is 25 degrees off as well as the digital readout.

Any idea what can cause this?

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member

Shreve66

Premium Member
Thank you. I have been doing more analysis of it. Tried convection and temp is only 5 degrees off.

Shreve66

Premium Member
And something I wasn’t clear on, the first few tests were done in “Bake” mode.
Was 25 off in Bake.
Switched to convection Bake and it was very close.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
As far as I'm aware both settings should use the same oven temperature sensor. If the sensor and calibration is not the cause, I can only think of an internal fault in the electronic control. I do not know anything else that would cause a temperature dependency.

BTW. When you use convection you generally cook a recipe for less time. Maybe that's why?

Dan O.

paulhl

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Ignore that dial like they told you, it only shows what you set the temp for. One of the dumber engineering blunders they made.

Shreve66

Premium Member
Ignore that dial like they told you, it only shows what you set the temp for. One of the dumber engineering blunders they made.
Yeah, but the dial matches the knob setting. So, at 350 setting that I choose, the oven will beep once it’s preheated to 350, but the temp is actually only 325. It’s driving me crazy. I will use an internal thermometer from now in. I’ll just leave it in the oven. So weird.

Shreve66

Premium Member
As far as I'm aware both settings should use the same oven temperature sensor. If the sensor and calibration is not the cause, I can only think of an internal fault in the electronic control. I do not know anything else that would cause a temperature dependency.

BTW. When you use convection you generally cook a recipe for less time. Maybe that's why?

Dan O.
I don’t normally use convection. Just running some tests. It looks to have only 1 sensor.

0902 on page 18

Shreve66

Premium Member
Update, I’m trying this offset. I set it to +25 since Bake is really all we use. If I can get Bake to at least cook properly, I’m ok. I believe I can change the sensor. I have tools and have some skills. It’s just hard to find how-to videos on this oven.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Shreve667 said:
the oven will beep once it’s preheated to 350, but the temp is actually only 325.

Many modern ranges these days don't preheat the oven to the full, set temperature. They say it is not required for adequate cooking. I do not know how the control on your particular model is programmed.

Manufactures recommend technicians allow the oven to cycle on and off 4-5 times before testing its temperature to make a decisions about calibration.

JFYI

Dan O.

Shreve66

Premium Member
My oven has been on for 4 hours. I adjusted the offset by 25 around 22 minutes ago. Oven is set for 400, temp is reading 380.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
If the displayed temperature is out more than 35 deg. from the base setting, control calibration probably can't be done to totally correct it. In such a case the oven temperature sensor is likely out of specs and probably needs to be replaced to correct the condition.

JMO

Dan O.

Shreve66

Premium Member
Thank you Dan. I’m going to start with the sensor. Probably cheaper than the circuit board. Will touch base in a few weeks. Thank you so much for your time.

Last edited:

Shreve66

Premium Member
Changed temp sensor. Did not correct the problem. Slow to heat up. Around 25 degrees off between displayed temp and actual oven temp. Not going to do anything else. Will set knob higher from now on

toddnsd

Premium Member
Hi there,

Question regarding your oven. My wife and I recently purchased a home with the same model, and have found that the cooling fans seem to run for a long time; 45 minutes to get it from 375 to 200. Is this normal in your experience? I know the manual says that it will run to cool the oven to below 200, but it just seems like extraordinarily long time.

Shreve66

Premium Member
Thank you Dan. I’m going to start with the sensor. Probably cheaper than the circuit board. Will touch base in a few weeks. Thank you so much for your time.
Changed the temp sensor. The oven does not track with the actual thermometer. The preheat alarm goes off before desired temp is reached.

Also, I set the oven to 500. The highest temp that it would reach was 375. Oven was on for hours.

Last edited:

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Shreve66 said:
Changed the temp sensor. The oven does not track with the actual thermometer.

Than there might be a problem with one of the electronic controls but I am not familiar enough with the product so cannot recommend which. Sorry.

Dan O.

Shreve66

Premium Member
I don’t think many people are. It’s strange. I cannot find any useful information on this oven.

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.