FIXED Thermador DWHD630GCM/63 Won't Fill With Water

Bikeman

Premium Member
Model Number
DWHD630GCM/63
Brand
Bosch
Hi All,
Just found this forum and am looking for some advice. We just bought a home in Arizona, lovely place. The kitchen is equipped with a Thermador
dishwasher model #DWHD630GCM/63. Have been really impressed with it's performance to date. We started a kitchen remodel and the other day
I went to pull the dishwasher. I dove under the sink and unhooked everything, with the last item being the power. Boom!! A loud pop and flash of
light blinded me. I came out shaking, put a flashlight on the outlet, and saw smoke pouring out. Gave it a little blast with my handy halon extinguisher
and it quieted down. Turned off the breaker and started investigating. The outlet was cooked, both the dishwasher plug and disposal plug were blackened and burned. Lots of evidence of arcing in the box. I put the DW in another room, and proceeded removing and installing cabinets. Few days later was ready to reinstall the DW, so I installed a new outlet, put a new plug on the DW, hooked everything up, checked my power and water, all good, fired it up, comes on, sounds kind of dry, not getting any water. Pulled it out again, checked the supply line, verified it has water. Reinstalled, nothing. Just makes noise, sounds real dry, no water. Researching this a lot of folks point the finger at the inlet valve. No problem replacing that but I don't want to just start throwing parts at it. Could a voltage surge when I pulled the plug possibly have ruined this valve? Or could it just be coincidence that the valve chose this moment to malfunction? Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thx, Bikeman

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Set your meter to check AC volts and connect it to the water valve. Start the machine. If your meter indicates 120 VAC replace the valve. If your meter indicates 0 VAC check the float switch for continuity. Any further and I will need a copy of your wiring diagram.

00622058 Water Inlet Valve

00165256 Float Switch

Bikeman

Premium Member
Hi, sorry I am so long getting back to you. This remodel is kicking my tail. I unfortunately am just not proficient enough to check voltage and stuff, so I threw parts at it. Replaced the inlet valve and the float and the float switch. Nothing. Bone dry. I have searched high and low for a wiring diagram. The owners manual has nothing, I have searched the Thermador site. They have a CAD file that I downloaded but I don't have the software to open it. Is that something that would be useful for you to diagnose? I can send it to you.

Thanks,
Bikeman

rickgburton

Staff member
The problem with that method is two fold. One, it gets very expensive very fast and takes twice as long to get the machine running. Two, there's no guarantee the new part is a good working part. Over the years I've received many parts that were bad right out of the box. A good meter costs less than $20 and takes about 30 minutes to learn how it works. I understand some people are not comfortable using a DMM or working around live voltage. If that's the case, hiring a service company to repair your machine will still cost less than replacing parts in hopes one will fix it.

Multimeter

Attachments

Bikeman

Premium Member
Learned how to run my voltmeter!

Rick,
At your prompting I dug my old voltage meter out of a box, dusted it off, sat down with the instructions you kindly sent me and figured out how to run the thing I've had for 20 years. So I have 0 VAC at the inlet valve, and continuity at the float switch. As I said, I flat cannot find a wiring diagram for this unit, but did download a CAD file for techs from the Thermador website. Don't know what's on it, don't have the software to open it. Hoping you have a suggestion on where to go from here?

Thanks,
Bikeman

rickgburton

Staff member
CAD (Computer-Aided Design) files are 2D or 3D image files. CAD software is used to create model or architecture plans. I don't have any CAD software and I doubt it would help. The problem is, Thermador and a few other manufactures like Viking, in an attempt to keep appliance service on their models in house, will not release any service or part information making it almost impossible to find tech sheets or wiring diagrams for their machines. It's not as bad with the Bosch line but still difficult to locate any service info. All appliances when new come with a tech sheet and wiring diagram attached to them somewhere. They're usually in an envelope taped to the machine. However if the machine has ever had service work done on it there's a good chance the tech sheet didn't get put back and went home with the last service tech.

Dishwashers basically work the same way. When you start a cycle the control tells the water valve to open by sending it 120 VAC. If you have a good current path to the valve (good float switch and no broken wires) and the water valve is good, the control is not sending the 120 VAC. Unfortunately, that's the best I can do without a wiring diagram or the tech sheet. All you can do is physically follow the wires on the water valve backwards until you find where your losing the voltage

Look on the control board for anything obvious. If it was caused by the short it might have let a burn mark. Only part of the controls are still available. This one is:
00677521 Control Unit
bosch-control-unit-677521-ap4509352_01_m.jpg

Bikeman

Premium Member
I traced the wires from the inlet valve to the control board, which is down low on the side of the machine. Checked continuity on the wires, they are fine. Pulled the board, no evidence of scorching whatsoever.

Researching, I found a part number for the board, Bosch 00676934. There is one on Ebay for 110.00. Do you think it is likely that that is the culprit? Would it be worthwhile to try, or should I give up on this thing?? Thanks.

rickgburton

Staff member
I do think the control board is the likely culprit but whether or not to fix the machine I can't answer. Thermador and Bosch are not a popular brand in my area so I haven't worked on that many. Keep in mind if you replace the board the rest of the parts are still ten years old. Many parts for that machine are no longer available. When it comes to purchasing parts on ebay and amazon all I can say is buyer beware. Check the return policy in case it doesn't work. Check the sellers rep and if you rely on the ratings to make a decision, check them on fakespot.com

Bikeman

Premium Member
Thanks, will do. Figure it's worth it to give it try. I'll let you know how
it works out. Thanks for all your help.

Bikeman