Time to retire old betsy?

Bladrx

Premium Member
Model Number
mzd2766gew
Brand
Maytag
wanted to give thanks to jake for helping me fix this same fridge a few months ago (replaced bad adc? board, & defrost heater)
however looks like shes at the end of her rope.
one day i went to get some ice cream and found it melted. and it got worse from there. Now all i hear is a "click" and then a min later another "click". ive researched some and found that it could be a few things. i dont think its the board since its pretty new. the kitchen is clean and we have no pets, but ill still look for buildup on the condenser coils. Lastly it could be a bad "overload" relay switch? but since she's so old it will be the scrap yard for her if she needs a new condenser.

Jake, if you read this you know im a DIY'er so hopefully you'll bring good news. or Jeff, Jeff is cool too :)

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Take the relay/overload off the compressor and shake it. If it rattles, it's bad.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Bladrx

Premium Member
ty to you both. would you happen to have the DIY diagram, or video?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Bladrx

Premium Member
kk. here's what i found.
1). looks like i was the only one to take a look back here in a long while. so i took my electric duster to it.
2). ive put together enough systems to know that blown fuse smell, and sure enough you can see it. I didnt even have to shake it to know it was blown.
3). just do 2x check i did shake it and yep its blown.
4). to to sure but when doing car stereos and i come across wires like this, i replace them. does the same apply here?

dirty.jpgclean.jpgplugs.jpgblown.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, just the orange wire terminal connector one though, the others look fine.

Did you already order the compressor start relay device kit yet?

Jake

Bladrx

Premium Member
negative, waiting for the ok from my landlord. not going to do it if he wont reimburse, since its his fridge. i have a garage freezer and a personal fridge.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, thats fine.

Jake

Bladrx

Premium Member
just ordered the part. is there a diagram on how to redo the wiring? or do i splice it?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, it comes with an instruction sheet and tells you what to do.:)

Jake

Bladrx

Premium Member
kk. just got part today. going to try and install when wifey gets back so she can watch our kid. ill let you know what happens.

P.S. 1 of the pieces i got rattles when you shake. kind of like a blown circuit. but being brand new this is very rare. guess i wont know till i plug it in.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thats odd, hopefully its fine though, yes keep us posted.

Jake

Bladrx

Premium Member
ok. ran into a small problem. i dont understand how the single wire i got will work in this setup. heres a pic of the wiring.
wiring.JPG

as you can see the relay power (orange) is double wired. and its the one thats the most damaged, as shown below:
plugs.jpg

am i missing anything?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, like I said you need to replace that terminal end on the orange wire, cut and splice it with a new terminal end.

Did you read the instruction sheet that came with it? It explains exactly how this kit should be wired up, if your having trouble understanding it, scan it and upload it here as an attachment. So I can go over it with you.

Jake

Bladrx

Premium Member
here's the instructions:

install002.jpg

ok. i THINK i got it. if i take what you say then i should do this (in reference to the following pics): splice the old ends of the orange wires (pic 1) to the new wire that came. plug the new white wire with the spliced orange wires inter the #3 (pic 2) put the old grey wire into #2 (pic 2), and plug the blue wire to bottom connector (pic 2). Then lastly #5, & #6 and the back part of the bottom connector are to be plugged into the compressor.

old1.JPGnew1.JPGnew2.JPG

this correct?

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yup, that looks right to me.:)

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
In fact you don't need to splice unless the terminal ends are to small, just wire it exactly the same, white goes on 2, orange goes on 3, blue goes on the white overload switch.

Then lastly #5, & #6 and the back part of the bottom connector are to be plugged into the compressor
Yup, but the white overload switch on the compressor first.

Jake

Bladrx

Premium Member
ok. got everything wired, but ran into a small problem. the overload switch went in fin, but when i try to put in connectors 5 & 6 (orange on the left, white on the right) it doesn't fit. i can flip it upside down and try to connect it that way (orange on right, white on left) but i dont wanna reverse polarize. would that happen here or no?