• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

TN21V2W Amana Refrigerator Door Seal Gasket has gap won't seal

murphysf

Premium Member
Model Number
TN21V2W
Brand
Amana
Hello

I have a Amana Refrigerator 21 cubic feet top freezer
TN21V2W

It is from 1999. Its been in my kitchen since new.

Hinges on the left, handles on the right.

Lately I noticed that there is a small gap at the door seal gasket along the lower right outside edge down to the corner (the side with the handles). It’s hard to tell if there is a gap along the bottom.

The seal looked fine however I thought it got demagnitized so I ordered a new one.

I ordered a new door gasket.

I removed the door and took it outside and put it on saw horses. I loosened all 38 (8 along top and bottom and 10 along each side side) screws from the door liner and installed the new gasket. The new gasket seemed to be the correct size however seemed to have an extra ridge on it. I used a paint can opener end and gently worked the seal in all around the liner and then tightened it. The new seal didn’t look right so I went around and folded in the seal toward the liner and it looked good.

I put the door back on and now the small gap that I had along the lower handle side was a much bigger gap that went about 15 inches.

I took the door off and on many times and even just held it in place without the top hinge. Still not a good fit.

No matter how hard I pressed in the lower right section of the door it wouldn’t even come close to sealing.

So I took the door back off and back outside on the saw horses.

I then removed all 38 (8 along top and bottom and 10 along each side side) screws from the door liner, removed the new door liner and put the old one back on rotated 180 degrees. I thought that the old gasket might have been compressed on the hinge side over time and thinner and would work out better on the outside.

When I went to put the 38 screws back in, I stated with screws on opposite corners then in the center of each of the 4 sides and then distributed the screws in a sar lug bolt tye pattern, I put the all in about half way so the door lner would center itself and so I would be able to get all the screws in.

I then when around and tightened them down.

When I reinstalled the door I took a hair dryer to it and then I rubbed petroleum jelly into it.

The fit was back to the way it was originally before I started working on it. A small gap toward the lower bottom of the handle edge.

I noticed if I press the bottom of my foot gently into the bottom right corner of the door to close the gap just for a second and then relese the gap returns. If I hold my foot there for 5 seconds or so and release the gap is gone and the door gasket is sealed 100%.

So am looking for ideas here.

I inspected the hole in the bottom of the door where the hinge pin goes into, it’s a white plastic piece with a hex like pattern in it. I stuck my pinky finger in there and felt around to see if it felt worn but if felt symmetrical. I put a small dab of vacuum silicone grease in there to lubricate.

From what I see the lower door does not have a closure?

I took a level to multiple locations and things seem fine, the fridge seems to be leaning forward just a hair.

I don’t see any way to adjust the fridge door position and it is held in by the top hinge bracket but three screws and it seems to be fixed with no adjustment.

Did my door twist or warp?

Hoping to fix this and save $1000 by not having to replace it

When I put the doors back on I was able to adjust the top freezer door with a level. When looking at the gap between the bottom of the freezer door and the top of the fridge door I notice that the gap increase as to look from the hinge side to the handle side. I just took a tape measure to it and it seems like the gap between the freezer door and fridge door is about 1/8” greater on teh handle sde compared to the hinge side.

Is this my problem? Some sag? Maybe the bottom door hinge mount is fatigued due to age, or the fixed mounting hinge that supports the freezer door and the fridge?

Ideas?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

So your not using your new refrigerator door gasket? You put the old one back on?

Please take a few photos of this gap your talking about, then upload the photos here.

Jake

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
If part of the door is not sitting flush, loosen the inner door panel's screws slightly, get someone to hold the door panel plumb compared to the cabinet (foot on part, if necessary) while you tighten up those screws again. The door should then hold that shape.

image.jpeg

If the inner dour panel is cracked, it might need to be replaced for the door to maintain its shape. It's only when the inner and outer door panels are secured together does the door stay rigid.

Dan O.

murphysf

Premium Member
If part of the door is not sitting flush, loosen the inner door panel's screws slightly, get someone to hold the door panel plumb compared to the cabinet (foot on part, if necessary) while you tighten up those screws again. The door should then hold that shape.

View attachment 45489

If the inner dour panel is cracked, it might need to be replaced for the door to maintain its shape. It's only when the inner and outer door panels are secured together does the door stay rigid.

Dan O.
Dan O thanks for the reply. Satuday night I did alot of searching online and found information similar to your response.

Sorry but I don't understand the suggestion.

There is the door itself and the liner. What is the "inner door panel"? Do you mean the liner? The white plastic piece that makes up the door shelfs? If so I dont see how that can affect this, due to the 36 screws that hold the liner, there is little room to reposition it.

Or maybe I am missing something.

Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok I see the gap, get a hair dryer and move it up and down on that door gasket where that air gap is at. The door gasket nylon will then soften up so the magnet can stick to the cabinet properly.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
What Dan is probably referring to is tweaking the door liner so it lines up better down there. What I do is loosen the door liner screws, then tweak the door by holding your leg in front of the lower half of the door, then pulling the top portion of the door with your hand. Then re-tighten all the door liner screws.

Jake

murphysf

Premium Member
Ok I see the gap, get a hair dryer and move it up and down on that door gasket where that air gap is at. The door gasket nylon will then soften up so the magnet can stick to the cabinet properly.

Jake
Thanks Jake, I will take a hair dryer to it. Should I focus the direction of the heat on the flat mating surface of the gasket?

murphysf

Premium Member
What Dan is probably referring to is tweaking the door liner so it lines up better down there. What I do is loosen the door liner screws, then tweak the door by holding your leg in front of the lower half of the door, then pulling the top portion of the door with your hand. Then re-tighten all the door liner screws.

Jake
What Dan is probably referring to is tweaking the "door liner" so it lines up better down there.

Tweaking the "door liner", I believe you meant tweaking the door. Which is the same as bending the door?

Is the reason when the door liner gets loosened so it doesn't break when one goes to bend the door?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Tweaking the door, I've done 32 years and that usually solves it.

Just run the hair dryer up and down the door gasket where the air gap is at while the door is closed.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I didn't know you had a heat gun, that's what I use. I didn't know you were a tech.:)

Heat gun is fine, but keep moving it up and down, if you just hold in one place you WILL burn a hole through that door gasket.:)

Jake

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
murphysf said:
So the basis of my issue is a door that is warped?
It could be, yes. It might not be if the gasket defect was in the centre of a length of gasket and not just at the end/corner.

Jake said:
if you just hold in one place you WILL burn a hole through that door gasket
Exactly!

I've tried working the area in question with a cloth soaked in hot water with good success as well. Massaging the material while heated helps return it to its natural shape if it had become distorted.

JMO

Dan O.

murphysf

Premium Member
Thanks Jake and Dan O

I will take heat to the gasket later today.

can we rule out any issues with the upper and lower door hinge / pin hardware?

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
murphysf said:
can we rule out any issues with the upper and lower door hinge / pin hardware?
I think a problem with either of those would cause more of an alignment issue to the whole door, not just that small area of the gasket that looks affected in the picture. But do check for any play between the door and hinge pin or pin and hinge while you're working on it.

Dan O.

murphysf

Premium Member
its interesting that the replacement gasket had a gap in the same place, the gap with the replacement gasket was actually wider and over a greater length.

I currently have the original gasket on it. When I put it back on after trying the replacement gasket I rotated it 180 degrees.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
murphysf said:
When I put it back on after trying the replacement gasket I rotated it 180 degrees.
I'm sure you probably would have noticed but make sure there's a magnet on that side. Sometimes the hinge side of a gasket doesn't have a magnet in it and if rotated...

Dan O.