• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

TN21V2W Amana Refrigerator Door Seal Gasket has gap won't seal

murphysf

Premium Member
after I rotated the gasket, it had the exact same amount and length as before I rotated it.

that being said how can I confirm that there is a magnet in the area of concern. What is a good item to use?

Thanks!!

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
murphysf said:
that being said how can I confirm that there is a magnet in the area of concern.
The hard magnet can usually be felt inside the soft rubbery gasket material when squished between thumb and forefinger. (The section that makes contact with the door.)

What is a good item to use?
A dime might work if it's steel, a paper clip, a metal washer or just about anything steel and not so heavy that it would fall off. It's only a minimal magnet force. Just touch it to the flat part of the gasket to see if it sticks.

Dan O.

murphysf

Premium Member
thanks

I just took a piece of steel all around the gasket and magnets are present , I especially checked the area where the gap is and it has the same strength as other parts of the gasket.

I also took a magnet to the frame of the fridge and it stuck well.

I still need to take heat (hair dryer or heat gun to it).

I believe I have a door that warped over time.

Thanks!

murphysf

Premium Member
So I just took a hair dryer to it.

The door was closed and before applying heat I pushed and held in the bottom of the door for a few seconds and let go and the gasket made up (no gap).

With the door closed I applied heat to it and the gap started to appear and increase.

So whatever the heat is doing to the gasket is making the gasket come away from the fridge frame.

So I stopped.

I guess I am out of luck and need a new door or a new fridge.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
New refrigerator time.:)

Jake

murphysf

Premium Member
yes,

just curious are there any parts that are worth a good value that I could remove and sell on ebay?

The fridge is in great shape otherwise and figure some of the parts might be hard to get and nolonger available.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You can try, but I don't know how much luck you will have selling parts from it. Both fan motors, ice maker, temperature control thermostat to name a few.

Jake